So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab - since some are accusing the skeptics of mocking you or being a troll...for the record, I've expressed my opinion of being skeptical but hope nothing I wrote you construed as mockery.

Ye hath not mocked thee!

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    But I do love marveling at odds.

I'm quite taken with probability too. Have you ever seen the Star Trek Deep Space nine episode with the actor who played Price Humperdink? He gets a hold of this "toy" that messes with the laws of probability within a certain proximity; It was a cool episode.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I've always enjoyed your posts and thoughts on here. I don't agree what you experienced was anything supernatural, but respect your personal experience and reaction to it. Good luck resolving it within yourself...after all, our lives are our own to make.

Very kind words, thank you :)

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

But I gotta prove to myself that it was communication before I offer thanks. Still in that process.

Even if it was just something within YOU communicating with YOU, it was still a form of communication. I wouldn't rush into anything at this point (I know I sure haven't, and my "experience" was in 2009). What I would recommend is some reading up on eastern philosophies and non-theistic conceptions of deity, specifically pantheistic and panentheistic ideas (deism is SO 18th century). Someone was once quoted as saying, "the kingdom of god is within you." Perhaps he was on to something. I don't know if I'll ever grok in fullness but the exploration is worth the trip in itself.

Here's a good link:

http://www.wayist.org/ttc%20compared/all_translations.htm

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I was delt pocket AA 3 straight hands once, that was pretty crazy, and I also one time was knocked out of a tournament by running quads. Getting busted on running quads may happen only a few times in your life.

The coolest thing that has happened to me was I flopped a royal flush with AK of hearts on my Verizon poker game. It was a glorious day.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Even if it was just something within YOU communicating with YOU, it was still a form of communication.

People are always telling me I talk to myself too much.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Mad Sweeney, I click that link and found this:

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty, there arises the recognition of ugliness.

Now that's what I am talking about!

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A mystery is something that is not explainable

That might be a formal definition but most people use it as: "something not yet explained." The difference in usages is stark.

I believe this experience of Sab's, like others, (mine for instance) is explainable but remains unexplained at this point. I think it would be unwise to jump on any particular explanation to the exclusion of others so soon because all the evidence doesn't seem to have been examined yet. While, "you're imagining it; you read meaning into a series of cards that randomly showed up in your hand coincidentally" may end up being the correct explanation, and may even be the most likely candidate, I don't think any good is served by discounting alternative explanations so soon after the event.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    http://www.wayist.org/ttc%20compared/beck.htm : They can be eternal and long lasting, because they do not exist for themselves, and for this reason can long endure.

cool stuff

• sabastious
    sabastious
    While, "you're imagining it; you read meaning into a series of cards that randomly showed up in your hand coincidentally" may end up being the correct explanation, and may even be the most likely candidate, I don't think any good is served by discounting alternative explanations so soon after the event.

Really sums it up for me I agree 100%.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit