Scriptural proof of a paradise earth? Psalms 72:7; Isaiah 33:24

by Joey Jo-Jo 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

A very close person I know is trying to show biblical proof that there are two classes, one in heaven and the other on a paradise earth, I think I have the celestial class 144000 covered. I was given these two scriptures as proof that there will be everlasting life on earth.

Psalms 72:7 - In his days may the righteous flourish, and abundance of peace till the moon is no more.

Isaiah 33:24 - And no resident will say, "I am sick"; the people who dwell there will be forgiven their iniquity.

Would anyone have any brackground on these two scriptures and what they really apply to?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

According to scholarly commentary from the NAB:

Psalm 72 is a prayer for the secular king, "[a] royal psalm in which the Israelite king, as the representative of God, is the instrument of divine justice and blessing for the whole world. The king is human, giving only what he has received from God. Hence intercession must be made for him. The extravagent language is typical of oriental royal courts. The crown prince is the king's son; the prayer envisages the dynasty."

Re: from sea to sea, "The boundaries of the civilized world known at the time, from the mediterranean Sea (the western sea) to the Persian Gulf (the eastern sea), and from the Euphrates to the islands and lands of southwestern Europe, "the ends of the earth". The words may also have a mystic nuance, - the nuance surrounded by cosmic waters, hence everywhere."

Re Isaiah 33:24, variously refers to a) heaven, b) the current church on earth, c) Israel and Jerusalem after the overthrow of Assyria, and d) after the millenium when the New Jerusalem comes down, onto the new earth mentioned in the Book of Revelation, far in the future.

Nothing in these verses remotely suggest a two-tiered system as the JWs envision.

See these commentaries. http://bible.cc/isaiah/33-24.htm

For addition research sources, here is a long list:

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/jehovahs_witnesses_research_resources.html

If you are really serious about dispelling this two-tiered salvation plan of theirs, spend some time here; it ends the discussion:

http://144000.110mb.com/144000/index.html

Remember, the 144,000 is only one side of the coin. Disproving the great crowd on earth is the other.

Hope this helps.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You can also point out that Revelation speaks about the heavenly city of New Jerusalem coming down to earth, and God will live among men.

Notice Rev 21:1-3 - Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.

Note, this is after the old heavens and old earth are destroyed. Also remember that this can't be speaking of the "great crowd" for, according to Revelation 19:1, they are already in heaven at this time.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I don't care about your fancy shmancy Bible verses! I am going to have a pet tiger or there will be hell to pay.

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

That would be a good response to add to the "Reasoning" book! I'd love to hear a JW use that at the door, Sab!

• sabastious
    sabastious

Do you have my tiger?

-Sab

• sabastious
  • abbagail
    abbagail

A very close person I know is trying to show biblical proof that there are two classes, one in heaven and the other on a paradise earth...

Not "two classes" but rather two separate promises given to:

(1) Israel as a Nation (Thy Kingdom Come on Earth; paradise earth);

(2) Christians, Jews &/or Gentiles (offered for the first time, the heavenly calling, post-crucifixion, based on faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ).

Psalms 72:7 - In his days may the righteous flourish, and abundance of peace till the moon is no more.

Isaiah 33:24 - And no resident will say, "I am sick"; the people who dwell there will be forgiven their iniquity.

Would anyone have any brackground on these two scriptures and what they really apply to?

Both Psalms and Isaiah were written by Israel prophets of prophecies TO Israel. (That is obvious from the text but WT and other "Replacement Theology" churches confuse the plain reading of the scriptures). The heavenly Christian hope was not offered yet (not until Christ died and was resurrected); so both Psalms and Isaiah describe the earthly Kingdom promised to Israel AS A NATION (not the JW version of "paradise earth" since the WT rejects Romans 11).

It's the same with the "little flock" and "other sheep" lie of the WT. The "little flock" was and still is Israel as a Nation; and the "other sheep" were and still are the Gentiles.

When reading scripture, ask two simple questions: WHO wrote it/said it? And, WHO were they writing/saying it TO?

That simple formula will clear up a ton of confusion piled on high by WT and others with "agendas" &/or with just plain bad theology.

• Robdar
    Robdar

The scriptures probably dont mean anything near what you think they mean. They are books from the Jewish Bible. The Tanakh was not written for Christians nor is it easily understood by Christians. You would save yourself and others a lot of heartache if you stuck to your Bible, The New Testament.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The OT is important too. The OT is like a darkened room. It's only when you bring the light of the NT to it that you are able to see it clearly. It's a large room with many items. As your understanding of the NT grows, you begin to see the outlines of the objects in the room. This grows until you can see the items clearly.

If you look at the OT from a Jewish or Atheist perspective ONLY, without the light of Christ, you will be confused.

Paul referred to looking at the OT without the understanding of Christ as looking through a glass darkly. (1Cor 13:12)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit