Four Americans killed on pirated yacht off Somalia: report

by chickpea 36 Replies latest social current

• chickpea
    chickpea

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Four Americans on a yacht taken over by pirates were killed near Somalia, CNN reported on Tuesday, citing U.S. defense officials.

The Americans were apparently shot during negotiations, CNN reported

YAHOO news is reporting it

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Senseless

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They disregarded the warnings that it was dangerous to sail in that area and even told friends that they were going there despite the warnings. It was their own hubris and stupidity that brought their death about. They were on a trip spreading "the Gospel" around the world fromt their boat. That alone shows they weren't the brightest bulbs. It's sad either way.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That's so sad. I was hoping they would be returned alive.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CHICKPEA:

I guess the days for leisurely sailing around the world are over - never mind what is designated so-called 'safe' areas. I don't think the open seas are safe at all. You would have to be out of your mind unless you are armed to the teeth.

As for the idea that they were 'spreading the gospel', that certainly didn't save their lives. The pirates probably laughed in their faces.

So sad.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I read that several pirates were dead too. Happened during "negotiations." Very scary indeed. These people gambled with their lives. I read they had encountered well known pirate infested waters near Thailand (I think) and they traveled with some kind of security. Wonder why they did not this time?

• callitquits76
    callitquits76

Has anybody else heard that the Somali pirates initially began to patrol their cost with help of local militias to warn off Western companies who were dumping deadly chemical wastes into the sea near the Somali cost? Somali fisherman were losing their livlihood and decided to take action - this has been reported in dips and dabs but nothing major. Now of course, as per what happens in most things, greedy people have decided to exploit the situation, but I wonder how many people realize why it all started?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Has anybody else heard that the Somali pirates initially began to patrol their cost with help of local militias to warn off Western companies who were dumping deadly chemical wastes into the sea near the Somali cost? Somali fisherman were losing their livlihood and decided to take action - this has been reported in dips and dabs but nothing major. Now of course, as per what happens in most things, greedy people have decided to exploit the situation, but I wonder how many people realize why it all started?

That is, quite frankly, INSANE.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    Has anybody else heard that the Somali pirates initially began to patrol their coast with help of local militias to warn off Western companies who were dumping deadly chemical wastes into the sea near the Somali cost? Somali fisherman were losing their livlihood and decided to take action - this has been reported in dips and dabs but nothing major. Now of course, as per what happens in most things, greedy people have decided to exploit the situation, but I wonder how many people realize why it all started?

True, that. Reported probably at least a year ago. What goes around comes around.

Not to say I am not saddened by the loss of life in this instance.

• snowbird
    snowbird

What's insane, JWoods?

The pirates' actions?

The reporting of the reasons for their actions?

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit