Four Americans killed on pirated yacht off Somalia: report

by chickpea 36 Replies latest social current

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

This from Wikipedia

A United Nations report and several news sources have suggested that piracy off the coast of Somalia is caused in part by illegal fishing and the dumping of toxic waste in Somali waters by foreign vessels that have, according to Somali fishermen, severely constrained the ability of locals to earn a living and forced many to turn to piracy instead. [4] [5] Other articles allege that 70 percent of the local coastal communities "strongly support the piracy as a form of national defense of the country's territorial waters", and that the pirates believe they are protecting their fishing grounds and exacting justice and compensation for the marine resources stolen. [6] [7] [8] Some pirates have suggested that, in the absence of an effective national coast guard following the outbreak of the Somali Civil Warand the subsequent disintegration of the Armed Forces, they became pirates in order to protect their waters. This belief is also reflected in the names taken on by some of the pirate networks, such as the National Volunteer Coast Guard (NVCG). [5]

I personally believe that this is pure rationalization on the part of groups of greedy rogue thugs.

Len

• james_woods
    james_woods
    What's insane, JWoods?
    The pirates' actions?
    The reporting of the reasons for their actions?

The insanity is the idea that the Somali pirates are really environmentalists at heart.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Piracy is not the correct solution to this problem, if it exists. Wikipedia is not a credible source, as anybody can post anything.

• snowbird
    snowbird

They're angry at the people who are ruining their livelihood, and are striking back at them.

Sad that innocent folks are caught up in this, though.

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

You have to question the intelligence of some people. There's certain areas in this very country that I'm not travelling to, and those numbnuts decided to travel off the coast of Somalia with limited security? They used as much of their brains as Daniel Pearl did being a Jew hanging out in Pakistan.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Sad that innocent folks are caught up in this, though.

The yachters may certainly have been innocent of toxic waste dumping, but they were extremely STUPID to be sailing in these waters for no good reason.

I used to very much enjoy visiting Mexico by car, but I am certainly not going to be cruising around Neuvo Laredo in my Rolls-Royce to check out the local markets in this day and age.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I used to very much enjoy visiting Mexico by car, but I am certainly not going to be cruising around Neuvo Laredo in my Rolls-Royce to check out the local markets in this day and age.

Would you do it in your Ferrari?

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

They shouldn't have been there, pure and simple.

They deliberately put their lives at risk by going to the area, and.... they lost. Darwinian selection, anyone?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Would you do it in your Ferrari?

I am pretty sure that Sanborns would not insure a Ferrari.

Back to the point, I am not going to be jet-skiing the border lakes either.

• callitquits76
    callitquits76

I try not to make this assumption, but part of me is thinking a big reason the United States bother to send patrols to Pirate endangered waters is not to help the poor buggers being kidnapped; more likely to allow the disposal of waste possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit