Four Americans killed on pirated yacht off Somalia: report

by chickpea 36 Replies latest social current

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I try not to make this assumption, but part of me is thinking a big reason the United States bother to send patrols to Pirate endangered waters is not to help the poor buggers being kidnapped; more likely to allow the disposal of waste possible.

Why go to that kind of trouble when you have oceans all over the globe to use for "waste disposal". Like I said before, this is nuts. These people are pirates for the ransom money, not the environment.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I agree that the pirates aren't environmentalists as such, but if they see bigger and richer countries dumping waste in their waters, making their way of living harder than it already is, then they have the right to defend their territory.

• undercover
    undercover

Wow... amazing... there are people who actually defend these terrorists...

Granted, the people who sailed their yacht into these waters were just plain stupid. If they thought that since they were bringing the Gospel to the underprivliged that somehow God would miracously carry them safely through these dangerous waters, well, I guess we learned that God doesn't come to the aid of stupid people.

But be that as it may, these terrorists (not pirates - these thugs couldn't circumvent the globe with a compass and sextant and live as a democracy on ship for months on end) are just criminals, looking for easy marks. How anyone can defend their actions is, as James Woods puts it... insane.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    How anyone can defend their actions is

Who's defending their actions? I don't see anyone defending them...just trying to determine a cause...you know, like cause and effect? There is no denying they are terrorists - but there are certain things that a terrorist make, and certainly dumping toxic waste in someone's means of livelihood would be bound to get some kind of reaction. Is this the only reason there are pirates in Somalia? Probably not, but a contributing factor - yes.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I am with (edited to say Undercover) and James Woods.

C'mon now!!! Ships dump toxic waste, endanger livelihood of local fishers and the "pirates" come to the rescue.

And what happens to the fat ransoms paid by many commercial shipping companies to have the ships and crew released unharmed? Ransom goes back to the fishing communities affected by said toxic dumps? Those "pirates" are 100% criminals, sorry no Robin Hoods there..

And, of course, it is sad for the senseless loss of life. The sailors should have avoided those waters...

• undercover
    undercover
    Who's defending their actions? I don't see anyone defending them...just trying to determine a cause...you know, like cause and effect?

Discussing cause and effect is fine but let's review some quotes:

What goes around comes around.
    They're angry at the people who are ruining their livelihood, and are striking back at them.
    ...if they see bigger and richer countries dumping waste in their waters, making their way of living harder than it already is, then they have the right to defend their territory.

Those are statements that defend their actions. "what goes around comes around"?? As if to say it's the fault of others, not the criminals. "They're angry...and they're striking back". Who are they striking back at? Evangelists? Sailors? And holding people for ransom repairs their livlihood how? And that last one: "They have the right to defend their territory" ?? WTF? Seriously? What rights and what territory? It's not their territory, it's international waters... and attacking ships/yachts and holding people for ransom and/or killing is not a right, it's a crime.

These statemets are akin to defending terrorists who fly planes into buidings

These people are criminals and are using terrorist means to insure payment of their extortion, pure and simple.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

are the Bibles okay? what about the donation money? was that recovered?

• snowbird
    snowbird

"They're angry...and they're striking back".
    Who are they striking back at? Evangelists? Sailors? And holding people for ransom repairs their livlihood how?

They're striking back at the rich, powerful, industrialized nations that are dumping toxins into their waters. It's apparent that they view piracy as the most effective way to bring attention to their plight.

It's an atrocious way of getting attention, but it's working.

Syl

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Well said, Syl.

Desperate situations call for desperate measures; however, please note that I am NOT DEFENDING them. Much easier to focus on the terrorism where deaths are fast and overt; those dying little by little through lack of livelihood or having their environments polluted can be safely overlooked. NOT

It's another case of the pot calling the kettle black. Just my 2c.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm not defending the pirates, either.

I'm also not defending the wrongs that made the pirates resort to such measures.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit