Stupid not just once but twice, and it is praised

by therevealer 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    My best guess is that the WT writer was just lazy, or sloppy, or both. I would guess that the "job offer" was for the girl to leave Ethiopia and accept a job in the European Union. A wage of 3000 Euros per month is either pretty good or at least average, depending on which particular country the job was in.

It would still stretch the bounds of credulity. Why would anyone in the European Union offer an obscure, uneducated Ethiopian girl a job that paid 3,000 euros/month? What exactly was she so qualified to do without any "higher education"? And as already mentioned, no one is "offered a a scholarship" no matter what your grades are. You have to apply for it. I think it's fair to say that this was not just the Writing Department being 'lazy' or 'sloppy'----they simply told an outrageous lie made up from a ficticious character with an unrealistic and absurd setting and have tried passing it off as a wonderful example of Christian financial martyrdom.

• streets76
    streets76

They can print anything in the WT because nobody reads the WT. Even when they are looking at and silently mouthing the words in consecutive order, nobody is reading the WT. Even when they underline complete sentences and raise their hands and read those sentences out loud as the answer to the question at the bottom of the page, nobody is reading the WT. This religion is not about reading the WT.

• dgp
    dgp
    My best guess is that the WT writer was just lazy, or sloppy, or both. I would guess that the "job offer" was for the girl toleave Ethiopia and accept a job in the European Union. A wage of 3000 Euros per month is either pretty good or at least average, depending on which particular country the job was

Not only the WT writer would need to be lazy, sloppy or both. All the translators had to be stupid enough not to notice what they were translating. Or, they knew, but as "faithful and discreet slaves" said nothing. How many languages does the magazine get translated into? That's the smallest number of people who had to notice.

Oh, and, by the way, someone who translated into Portuguese DID BOTHER to convert the figure into US dollars. So this person DID NOTICE.

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

@dgp that was the first reaction of my husband. He asked if they don't proofread the articles before publishing...

Desi

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

this is just hilarious! indeed, why would somebody pay an uneducated girl from etheopia ?eur 3000,- a month?!

well, i live in europe (the netherlands) and i earn a bit more than that! and i am 30!

(sorry i can't write capitals with my mobile phone on this website)

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

As someone else said the unit of currency is th Birr. Here is the current exchange rate.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

3,000 Euro = 73,470.2 Ethiopian Birr

I would have said yes, a little generous for a school leaver. It may have been gun running or smuggling radioactive materials for nefarious purposes.

Hmmmmm.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My son-in-law is from East Africa, and I know from his perspective there is NO WAY a sane parent in Africa would reward a child for not pursuing further education. It's the only way out of the crushing poverty. Parents depend on their children for security in their old age. An exemplary field service record won't help with that.

A correction from a post early in this thread. Ethiopia has a long history with Christianity and has an oral tradition that their royalty are descended from the African Queen who was romanced by Solomon.

• Scully
    Scully

I would have said yes, a little generous for a school leaver. It may have been gun running or smuggling radioactive materials for nefarious purposes.

Or prostitution. Just sayin'.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Post 1344 of 1410
    Since 5/18/2005

This kid leaves school with a basic education but is offered a 3,000 Euro a month job in Ethiopia??!! There's only one job that would pay that well, no wonder she didn't take it. No seriously, this must be bullshit.

Scully, DoofDaddy hinted at the same thing.

I wonder if prostitution actually pays that well in Ethiopia.

Syl

• Scully
    Scully

Sylvia

I'm sure prostitution pays very well anywhere ... for the pimps... but not for the girls providing the "services".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit