Stupid not just once but twice, and it is praised

by therevealer 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Satan was testing her for sure and she saw thru his evil schemes, Jah is well pleased with her and will make up the shortfall....

Someone in the writing dept didn't convert Ethioian BIR into Euros methinks. 3000 BIR = 131 Euros.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    muslims seem like they mostly would never let a woman have a hi paying job

I live in Canada and the company I work for pays equally. We have many different cultures of people working here. Muslim women make excellent money as do Jewish, Christian, and any other person of race, colour, creed, faith, gender, sexual orientation, disability, etc.

In order to work for my company, you do have to have a post-secondary school education.

For all the lurkers out there, whatever you do, do NOT listen to the Botchtower on this. Get a College or University education or your resume goes in the huge pile that rarely gets looked at.

• dozy
    dozy

I reckon there is a typo in this experience & the offer was for a job paying 30 euros a month - somebody has got the decimal point in the wrong place. Or 3000 euros a year (even that seems excessively high). It does seem an incredibly spurious experience. Maybe (I'm clutching at straws here) she was offered a job abroad or with a NGO in Ethiopia. But why offer an unqualified student such a high starting salary? It does continue a long standing tradition of unverified experiences of JW youths turning down incredible unsolicited scholarship offers (not forgetting FW Franz and his famous "turn down" of a Rhodes scholarship that he was never offered in the first place). Anyway - whatever - I'm off to the post office to post my CV to Addis Ababa!

w858/15p.16par.20 Youth’s Greatest Opportunity

As one Christian youth who gave up a college scholarship and became a full-time evangelizer exclaimed: “I have the best career anyone could want, being a teacher of the good news and helping others to learn of our loving Father!

One such is a young man from Central America. He was offered a scholarship to study music in Austria; this could have led to a promising career in music. Another offer gave him the opportunity to study optics in Germany, with a good-paying job waiting for him. But he turned both offers down because he did not feel that they would make life really meaningful.

lvchap.15p.180See Good for Your Hard Work

I excelled in my studies and won a full scholarship to a well-respected private school in New York City. My father pressured me to apply to several prestigious universities. I was accepted by a few of them and even earned a scholarship to one of the most renowned universities in the United States. However, I turned the offer down for two reasons. I could foresee the moral dangers of living on campus away from home, and I had a strong desire to pioneer.

(Franz - from the Proclaimers book) At the university Frederick was chosen to receive a Rhodes scholarship, qualifying him for admission to Oxford University in England. However, before an announcement could be made, Frederick lost all interest in the scholarship and asked that his name be dropped from the list of contestants.

• Nebeska Nada
    Nebeska Nada

I don't believe this story.

• dozy
    dozy

I found this quote from 2008 about salary rates in Ethiopia...

" Then to put it into perspective, Sophie says her housekeeper makes about 30 cents per hour. Some men working near her house building a wall make about $1.50 a day. And the people with jobs are the lucky ones. "

Ethiopia is estimated to have an unemployment rate of about 30% for 15 to 30 year olds, among the highest unemployed in the world

• therevealer
    therevealer

yup. As all the comments and my own google searching comfirms. This is unadulerated bullshit.

• therevealer
    therevealer

since this is so ludicrous I thought perhaps their could be some typographical error, so I went and listened to the mp3 and it says the exact same.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I bet sometimes the writers intentionally put in outrageous stuff just to see how big a steaming pile the rank and file will eat up.

"Lets do an experience about a teenager wanting to pioneer in Africa."

"You think? Does such a thing exist?"

"Who cares? Lets make it a girl from Ethiopia."

"Ok, how about this? She's really really smart. Genius level kid."

"Great idea. She gets a scholarship offer to college and turns it down so she can pioneer."

"Awesome! Not only that, but she also gets a job offer for 300 dollars a year and turns that down, too!"

"Wait, we better make it Euros because it's not here in the USA. Also, lets make it 300 Euros a month instead of a year."

"Lets go one better, lets make it 3000 Euros a month!"

"Think people will buy that?"

"It's in the Watchtower, isn't it?"

"Good point."

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I could see that happening up there too, especially if there's disgruntled people in the Writing Department. Can totally see them making bets with each other over who's paying for lunch depending on whether some completely outrageous article gets the thumbs up from the man in charge.

"I can't believe Bro.Mercante totally bought into Ethiopians having a Middle Upper Class!"

"You didn't believe it when he bought the story about the pioneer preaching to the dog either! That's two lunches you owe me Milton!!!"

• therevealer
    therevealer

miseryloveselders - You make jest, but do you know that dog was baptized and has studied with and converted many other dogs. And that is the doggone truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit