Stupid not just once but twice, and it is praised

by therevealer 90 Replies latest jw friends

• ambersun
    ambersun

I whole heartedly agree dgp. If by some miracle this story was true, just think of the wonderful things this girl could achieve for herself, her family and her community with the money she earned, which would be on a parr with winning the lottery for most of us.

My friend's daughter who has actually lived among Ethiopians in the course of her charity work, told us some heart rending tales of poverty, the lack of food and medicines or clean water, and how she and her colleagues literally picked up a dying child and drove for miles to a hospital to get vital treatment for her which her family could not afford. Most children she came across were lucky to get any form of education at all. Of course, it is likely that there are poor areas and more affluent areas like any other country in the world but it still seems a bit hard to believe that a girl should not only be in a position to turn down higher education, but then on leaving school with no qualifications be offered an incredibly high paid job.

If I get a chance, I will ask my friend's daughter what she thinks about this story.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

No doubt this story is made up. You'd think they'd at least make the stories somewhat believable. It reminds me of the episde of Seinfeld with Raquel Welch. " I heard from someone that when they cut one of her lines, she climbed up the rope on side of the stage and started dropping lights on peoples heads. Story like that has got to be true. "

• dgp
    dgp

Ambersun, I have no doubt at all that this story is a lie. What "upsets" me is that such a blatant lie might actually lead someone to give up the brains. Someone smart who will feel she or he is doing "the best" in peddling magazines.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They count on the rank and file's ignorance.

People aren't offered scholarships. You have to apply for them and you might or might not be awarded one. You MIGHT be offered an application for a scholarship, as in, "here, you ought to fill out this application for a scholarship." Nobody is offered a full ride to Harvard or anywhere else UNLESS they are both brilliant AND they applied for it. So anyone who claims they were offered a full scholarship should be asked: "why did you apply for a college scholarship instead of putting your faith in Jehovah?"

• sherah
    sherah

MS - People aren't offered scholarships. You have to apply for them and you might or might not be awarded one. You MIGHT be offered an application for a scholarship, as in, "here, you ought to fill out this application for a scholarship."

So true but the average, elderly, born-in JW don't know this because of their limited education.

• Mary
    Mary
    Soon thereafter, she received a job offer that would pay her 3,000 euros a month-a high amount in comparison with the average wages in her country.

Three thousand Euros a month for an uneducated female in Ethiopia eh? Ok, to put this into perspective, the conversion rate from Euros to the Birr is:

3,000.00 EUR = 67,903.94 Ethiopian Birr

The average income in each household in Ethiopia is about 200 Ethiopia Birr per month. Even for those who have a PhD, salaries appear to be between 2,500 and 3,000 Birr per month. Sooooo a young, inexperienced Witness with absolutely no education beyong general schooling manages to land a job that pays her 20 times the amount that someone with a doctorate working at a private university in Ethiopia makes? Riiiiiiight.

Even for the Writing Department who are notorious for gross exageration, this figure is absurd beyond words. To bring it closer to home, lets look at it this way: Say the average wage for a Professor at a private university in the USA is $6,000 - $8,000/month. And some unnamed Witness, with no education beyond high school is offered a job at an [unnamed] company that offers them a starting salary of $120,000/month which is 20 times the amount that someone with a doctorate working at a private university in North America makes. News like this would hit CNN and every other newscast within days.

Of course, most Witnesses will just look at this article in awe and think 'Wow, what faith this young sister has!'. No one will question the insanity of what they're actually saying. And since these articles are all written, examined, and re-examined for errors before they hit the presses, I sincerely doubt this was an oversight. After all, if some 'apostates' can spot it within seconds of reading it, shouldn't those at the center of the universe have been able to spot it?

What a bunch of idiots.

http://www.employethiopia.com/index.php?post_id=4881

• fedup
    fedup

Nice job on those figures Mary.

Their statement is beyond ridiculous, just impossible, no doubt.

How many of the R & F do you think will research this?... Probably none.

Very sad.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I checked their Amharic wt edition and it has 67000 in brackets, as that's all I could make out, I'm guessing they're selling this same unaltered story to Ethiopian witnesses. Will any of these people blink as they read that paragraph? I doubt it. Maybe the job was to smuggle blood diamonds through Ethiopia or moving weapons but since this is unlikely scenario for a jw to be involved in, the whole story stinks of BS.

• ssn587
    ssn587

it is true that one has to fill out an application for a scholarship, this is reminiscent (spelling) of an experience that i heard at a 2 dayer from an individual I happened to know, and when I asked them why they turned down something they put in an application for, they finally admitted that they had thought about it, putting in for a scholarship. but decided not to their parents wouldn't support them if they went, and that was in turn changed into their turning down a scholarship that they hadn't even put in for, it had been upped or fabricated to mean they had actually turned down a scholaship anything for a good experience at the 2 day bs session.

I don't believe even 5% of the BS sessions at those assemblies and District BS sessions.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

If she was offered a job as an all around sex-slave for Osama, then I guess she could make 3000 euro a month. But she would have to be damn good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit