Are you a TRUE Christian?!?

by brotherdan 152 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

So true, Lost Gen. So true.

I still have that same habit...sadly. I'm trying though. I'm trying. One of the Christians on the site that I respect SO much is Psac. And Tec. And a bunch more. But they are always so unjudgemental. That's attractive to people.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Exactly, Cheeze. They are 2 different concepts. They can't be compared. 1 is a choice. 1 is not. Did you choose to be born in Texas? And people don't "choose" to be born into a Christian family.

I do see my faulty post though. Touche'

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Cults love litmus tests and purity tests.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Did you choose to be born in Texas?

Nope, that was by the grace of God.

(Kidding, but I'm sure there are plenty of conservatives in my area who would say just that if you asked.)

I'm missing something, Dan. You said you were "born a Christian". I still don't get it.

• Ding
    Ding

Brotherdan,

I would agree that we should carefully monitor our own attitudes in this regard so we aren't simply branding as "false Christians" people with whom we disagree on some minor doctrinal issues. However, I believe that Paul is telling us to exercise sound discernment when he writes in 2 Corinthians 11:13 that there are "false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ."

It seems to me that if there can be false apostles there can also be false Christians.

I think the term "false Christian" would apply, for example, to person who professes to be a Christian who "comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached… a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted (2 Corinthians 11:4)."

I'm not saying that a genuine Christian can't be misled. However, I would say, for example, that a person who claims to be a Christian but says that he has never been reborn spiritually (John 3:3) is contradicting himself. (Yes, I understand that the Watchtower teaches that a spiritual rebirth only applies to the 144,000. I believe that's one of the key doctrines that separates them from historic Christianity.)

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I'm working my way up to being a true human. Those false ones are disgusting.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The false Christians are the ones that go to Hell when their body dies.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    You said you were "born a Christian". I still don't get it.

I was talking hypothetically. IF I was born into a Christian family. But you caught the point. They are 2 different concepts. A Scotsman was born in Scotland, regardless if he likes sugar in his tea or not.

But a Christian is one that chose that life course. I can't say, "You aren't a TRUE Christian, because you believe in a literal 6 day creation time period" or "You aren't a true Christian because you don't believe in Hell".

Does that make sense?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Something I said yesterday fits:

Unquestionable Faith in the benevolent god who blesses those who worship him would mean things like this:
    When your car breaks down, you pray and wait. No calling the mechanic with a tow truck.
    When you have a serious disease, you pray and wait. No medical interventions.
    Typical faith of convenience will allow the believer to use his credit card and get the tow truck or keep his medical insurance because he will use the medical interventions.

So for a true Christian, their unquestioning faith would do the same when the car breaks down or they find they have a medical condition.
    There are not many "true" Christians.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Does that make sense?

Yeah, I wasn't debating, I just didn't get the "born a Christian" comment. Now I realize you just mean born into a Christian family, per se.

Carry on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit