Car inspection woes

by Terry 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The catalytic converter uses platinum as the catalyst, which is the reason for the high cost.

Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) are formed by the high temperatures in the combustion chamber. They go down if the car is adjusted to make the fuel /air mix richer (more gas) but then CO and unburned hydrocarbon emissions go up.

One thing that *might* reduce NOx emission would be a water injection system. The water is vaporized in the combustion chamber, which has the effect of lowering the temperature. You might even be able to wet your air filter just before the test in hope that the "inhaled" water would lower the NOx enough for you to pass. No guarantees, though, and no, I've never actually done this myself. While it is in the range of "fringe-y" automotive mechanics, it won't hurt anything.

The most practical idea is probably for you to find a used but working cat at a junk yard.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes, Terry - it does make sense - in a way...

But here is the deal - the cat convertors did eliminate the environmental issue of unburned hydrocarbons practically to the point of completeness.

And, they did it while actually improving the driveability and fuel economy of cars. Anybody remember how horrible the cars of the 1970s were in economy and performance?

They also, as a side point, eliminated the lead contamination caused by tetra-ethyl lead - because they required lead-free fuel and changes in engine technology to make that possible.

If no rules had been made and enforced, then none of the above would have happened.

And, please note - I am saying this as a Texas Ferrari, Porsche, and Rolls-Royce owner and a true automobile enthusiast.

BTW, have you gotten a second (or even third) estimate to fix this? Accord parts are notoriously high-priced, but as mentioned above - perhaps an aftermarket converter or a salvage one could get you down the road.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Terry

Not sure who quoted you $1,700 for a catalytic converter but you must have had the look like a sheep ready for the slaughterhouse.

Come on now, catalytic converters USED to cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars but like everything else, the prices fell as more and more aftermarket companies manufacture them (or should I say import them from China, Malaysia or who knows where). Just do a google search and you will see them for $75 to $150.

If you want the EXACT model that looks EXACTLY like the one you have on your car, then you will have to pay a lot more. The cheaper ones are just universal models that fit a wide range of cars. On a 13 year old car, who cares what the catalytic converter looks like!

The only issue that would involve considerable more expense would be if the entire exhaust system is shot. Remember, with a catalytic converter, they will not be able to just unscrew the old one and re-install the new one. Any connectors or screws that were originally there will be rusted. They will need to just cut the old one off and weld the new one on. If there is not a sufficient amount of metal left to weld it to, then yes, they may have to have to do more work. I guess in a worst case, it would involve going from the manifold on the engine all the way back. But even then, the parts for a Honda (single exhaust) would be less than $500 and you would just have to pay for the installation (assuming you are purchasing them from discount place like JC Whitney).

The one advantge of doing the whole thing is that you really can do-it-yourself with a minimal amount of skills since you won't be doing welding or anything like that. In fact, I repaired an older car once and just used the bendable stuff to make a bend and make my muffler fit. Not a long-term solution, but good for several years.

In either case, you are getting robbed at $1,700. Just call some local garages for a quote and them you know that you know what a universal catalytic converter really costs.

Rub a Dub

• Lore
    Lore

So I'm guessing it would be considered wrong for me to bypass my converter now, and then only hook it up again for inspections. . . ?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    So I'm guessing it would be considered wrong for me to bypass my converter now, and then only hook it up again for inspections. . . ?

Morally, or mechanically?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I only travel 20 miles a day. How much pollution am I capable of adding to the planet?

Terry

Just be aware that this may be one of the reasons you failed the test. Not sure how close you live to the inspection station, but your car is polluting significantly more when it is warming up than when it has been run for say, 15 minutes or more. If you only travel 20 miles a day (10 miles each way) then you are getting the worst out of the exhaust pipe.

Remember, the polution devices on a car are designed to operate in a VERY hot environment. If you are having yours inspected close to home and the car is not hot, then that in itself could be the problem.

Not that I am in any way suggesting this, but I do recall a "friend" of mine who once failed inspection. This "friend" ahhhh ... let's say went to hardware store and bought a gallon of methanol. He let his gas get down to about 1/8 of a tank (about 3-4 gallons including the reserves) and added the gallon of methanol when he was a few blocks away from the inspection station.

Well wouldn't you know, that 25-30% of alcohol really cut down the emissions and he passed the test. The "friend" then immediately went to a gas station, filled up his tank to dilute the alcohol and drove happily for another 2 years.

Rub a Dub

• lalliv01
    lalliv01

Terry, google:

"replacing catalytic converter on 1998 honda accord"

without quotes. Also, I think used CAT'S might be illegal.

lalliv01

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

People are saying here that removing a catalytic converter that has been on a car is easily done which is a wrong suggestion.

A car that has the same CC on for 13 years is most likely going to have the clamp burned off with a blow torch,

unless you live in a very dry climate with little rust formed on the clamps itself.

Many times also you have to disconnect another clamp in the system to make it possible to remove the CC.

Realistically taking a CC to a muffler shop is probably the best way to go, they may only charge $50 -$60 to remove the old

one and replace it with the new or used one.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Terry look at this CC its California certified as well, it wouldn't hurt at all changing your Ox2 sensor at the same time.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Honda/Accord/Magnaflow/Catalytic_Converter/1998/EX/M6646054.html?location=Front

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Those O2 sensors are a bitch to get off too, but not as bad as Cats. I forgot about how nasty exhaust systems get.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit