Car inspection woes

by Terry 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hi Terry,

Have a look at some of the prices this seller has on their universal and direct fit cats:

Discount Converters LTD.
    1419 Upland Drive
    Houston, Texas 77043

They are much more reasonable and even if you had to pay about $100 for a muffler shop to just remove and install this one you'll save hundreds.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Terry, do you know for sure the catalyst is the problem? There are other things that cause high NOx levels. Check for simpler things that could make the engine run too lean or too hot, such as vacuum leaks, fuel injector problems, a bad oxygen sensor, wrong ignition timing and a stuck or clogged EGR valve (if your car has one, most do). The EGR is there for NOx reduction, and being a moving part exposed to scorching hot exhaust gas it doesn't last forever. I'm not saying the catalyst didn't fail, but be sure the problem isn't something easier and cheaper to fix before replacing something that expensive.

If you haven't had the diagnostic codes read out from the engine control computer, that is a good place to start. Or find a good independent mechanic who specializes on Hondas, they will know what the most common problems are for your model.

Good luck, I hope you can get it fixed without mortgaging the homestead!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I had my catalytic converter removed for free - and the folks who did it were kind enough to leave me a (lightly used) sawzall blade on the pavement in return!

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

All cars here come with Cats, and its a huge fine if you take them out, it can also involve going to prison.

Oxy sensor is easier to remove when there is heat like just after you turn off the car, grabe a spanner and turn the thing anti-clockwise.

• new light
    new light

Autopartswarehouse.com has them with prices starting at $80. Usually, a few phone calls will find you a garage willing to install customer-supplied parts. This job normally should take less than an hour, putting your total at less than $200. Good luck.

• hotspur
    hotspur
    I had my catalytic converter removed for free

Me too - last Sunday, along with four of our neighbours! There is a scrap metal crime spree in the UK at the moment :( It's running into £millions - they're even stealing from railway signalling systems! They never seem to get electrocuted though - shame!

• TardNFeatheredJW
    TardNFeatheredJW

A quick search of Autozone shows universals (not compatible with CA emissions) at about $90. Factory fit are between 300 and 400, depending on your engine (4 or 6 cyl). The position of the O2 sensor is different on different converters.

To remove the converter is against federal law, last I heard (maybe different now) the fine was $40k if a shop hollows it or bypasses. I'm not sure if it's illegal in your state for the private owner to remove or not, but why would you want to? The car is designed to run with the cat. It's actually a bigger hassle to bypass (having done this myself many years ago) than it is to remove/replace with an aftermarket factory fit cat. It should be bolt-in, so lots of PB Blaster, and about 1/2 hour of time. Get an exact-fit, soak the bolts with blaster, remove the 02 sensor, remove bolts, put new cat in place (use new gaskets), secure with bolts (you can use hi-temp anti-seize to make it easier next time), tighten bolts, coat 02 sensor THREADS(!!!) with anti-seize, and tighten everything up. No big deal, it's way easier than trying to fit a straight pipe or universal cat. And cheaper than a car payment.

Now, consider... Why did it fail? I have cars 20 yrs old+ that still have factory cats. Did you have a check-engine light? Running rich? (a bad 02 sensor can make a car run rich and destroy a cat in a few miles). Was it just rotted out? Short trips, incomplete warm-up phases destroy exhaust systems due to condensation build up that never clears out.

Best of luck to you. Only fools go to dealerships for maintenance, if you really don't want to do it yourself then call around to local shops or buy the part and see if you can get a shop to install it.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Sorry I didn't see this 3 weeks ago. Wife's surgery and all. You got that car fixed yet Terry? Well, I've always liked that model of car. Too bad I don't have one that needs an inspection sticker, because I live in Palo Pinto county. Palo Pinto doesn't require emissions checks.

Alright, see you later. PM me if you need to.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

IN Missouri mine doesn't need a emmision check either, It's a 1995, but, my car sounded like a truck going down the road. I thought it was the muffler..got a firestone quote of almost $1,000. They said it ws a rusted connection that could be patched with a piece of flex pipe. They could just "Patch" it for around $300. (This was offered after my "Good God" explanation..lol
    I told him I would think about it..he said it would do the job just patching it..

WELL..I took it to my daughter's limo company and had their mechanic look at it..he said the entire pipe was rusted and needed to be replaced., patching wouldn't fix it..It goes from one end of the car to the other. He got one for $230. where Firestone said they cost almost $700.

He installed it for free..pays to have friends.. Course I tipped him big..He saved me a bundle.

I found this great site to let you know what a repair SHOULD cost and let you know if you are getting ripped off!

Its:

http://repairpal.com/estimator

I have looked up quite a few things there..

Snoozy

ps..Sorry I can't post a direct link..

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Terry, I looked up the 1998 Honda and it says it should cost between $433. to $1,189. Depending on what kind of parts they use. Original or Generic.

Snoozy

It pays to shop around!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit