Some Questions About Jesus

by Coded Logic 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

Saints are an example of what I believe Jesus is--a composite of several individuals, highly embellished and revised by oral history.

There were probably a few people who inspired the legend of Jesus. Not even those telling the legend claim to have personally met him--it's always, "I know a person who knew a person who met him," like in most urban legends. That right there tells you it's not a holy book with special knowledge.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I think the reason Jesus never wrote anything down is because he was homeschooled. Stay in school, kids.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    I believe that Jesus existed as the leader of a jewish sect. I think that he did not write any manuscript with his doctrines, because he thought it was not necessary. He thought that the kingdom would be established soon, during his generation. Nevertheless, he was comdemned and executed for something that offended the political leaders of Jerusalem, then all his plans failed. The Gospels were written by no eyewitness, and this is why we can't trust in them.....In other words, Jesus is not responsible for the lies written in the NT.
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Coded Logica day ago: Why didn't Jesus ever write anything? Why are there no letters to Jesus?

He may have written things, but they were not preserved. We have the documents called the Dead Sea Scrolls which demonstrate that the Jewish group that produced those documents, liked to put things in writing.

Personally I doubt that he wrote much, because the type of preacher that he was (and there were others like him) were very verbal. I don't consider that the sort of teacher that Jesus was would think it necessary to record and write things down. He was convinced (or, deluded) that God was acting through him, and that the promised Jewish Kingdom would be established soon

As far as paintings and sculptures were concerned, such things were made of elite people.

-----------------------

JeffTa day ago: Due to the ban on idolatry, the Jews didn't not make busts or paintings of anybody.

Not true Jeff, the synagogue at Dura-Europas dated to likely the second/third centuries CE, were richly ornamented with biblical characters and scenes. As:

And from Palestine itself, there are extant mosaic synagogue floors, quite possibly from the first century, that show similar scenes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit