Some Questions About Jesus

by Coded Logic 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gone for good
    gone for good

James Mixon -

yes, the christian perspective article I read postulated that the Roman rulers were corrupt (surprise), and the Jewish religious leaders were corrupt (surprise).

In Judea the greatest single source of wealth was the temple. Virtually the entire economy of a theocracy swirled around worship at the temple and vast sums of money information and power were centred there to be exploited by whomever had connections.

Jesus threatened this golden goose and paid the price exacted by the Jews and carried out by the Romans

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Come on, Jesus may have walked on water with a thin layer of ice,

healed the sick and the person was on his way to recovery or

raised the dead and the person was in a coma, but the one that

get me is the soldier that get his ear cut off, completely removed.

Ok that's a tough one. If I saw that I would be a believer, I wouldn't care if

he was Satan, Jesus or from out of space. What the hell you are going to do,

this man have a lot of power.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

there are so many mistakes in the gospels , when he was born where he came from who was leader of the jewish religion how he died who say his tomb empty and where they were told to go. Its possible he was a simple religious leader that said some righteous things and then died. But James and Jude his supposed half brothers never comment on his being the son of god. Pauls letter which were written before the gospels several of them anyway never mention this Jesus. Also early gnostic writings don't mention him a the son of god.

Either he was a real man but just that a man or he was a made up guy the romans turned into god for their new religion

• economy
    economy

Coded Logic

Bible itself answers for all the questions: “In the abundance of words transgression ceaseth not, And whoso is restraining his lips is wise.” (Proverbs 10:19)

If the Bible writers had restricted themselves and given us just the gist of what God wants us to do, there would not have been any inconsistencies. Problem lies with writers who complete with each other in painting their own version about truth and God's messenger.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry
    No pens.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why didn't Jesus ever write anything? - because he was too busy making wooden tables, chairs and pipe racks ...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A question I have is, although we all see the problems with the Gospels, and of course Revelation, why does everybody,including N.T scholars, take everything that Paul supposedly actually wrote as being genuine ?

(I do realise that there are spurious,DeuteroPauline letters, which is why I said "actually" wrote).

Do we have assurance that even the Letters thought to be genuinely Pauline are such ? How early are the Manuscripts for these ? Can we be sure ?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

My atheist world religion professor from over a year, I believe had a masters in theology(used to be a Catholic), anyway he was convinced there was a historical Jesus. I don't have time to dig through any notes and specifics I would have taken but I vaguely recall a few points being that Christianity had spread too quickly and closely (within a generation of his life) and it would have been quickly discredited if people who lived in Jerusalem were claiming there never was a man hung on a cross, etc. Many other evidences there was at least a man Jesus who was killed. He didn't believe he did any of the miracles or anything, just that he was a normal man.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Jesus was almost certainly illiterate, hence maybe why he never wrote anything.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Why is there absolutely no extra-biblical testimony to Jesus?

There are many. I grabbed a few I've read before, but there are many more.

1. Babylonian Talmud 43a. Babylonian Talmud (late first or second century AD) Babylonian Sanhedrin43a-b “On the eve of the Passover they hanged Yeshu and the herald went before him for forty days saying [Yeshu] is going forth to be stoned in that he hate practiced sorcery and beguiled and led astray Israel

2. Babylonian Sanhedrin107b it is claimed that Jesus practiced magic. In tHul2:22-23 it is reported that healings were done in the name of Jesus.

Thallus (52AD)

Thallus is perhaps the earliest secular writer to mention Jesus and he is so ancient his writings don’t even exist anymore. But Julius Africanus, writing around 221AD does quote Thallus who previously tried to explain away the darkness occurring at Jesus’ crucifixion:

“On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.” (Julius Africanus, Chronography, 18:1)

4. Tacitus (56-120AD)

Cornelius Tacitus was known for his analysis and examination of historical documents and is among the most trusted of ancient historians. He was a senator under Emperor Vespasian and was also proconsul of Asia. In his “Annals’ of 116AD, he describes Emperor Nero’s response to the great fire in Rome and Nero’s claim that the Christians were to blame:

“Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular.”

5. Sometime after 70AD, a Syrian philosopher named Mara Bar-Serapion, writing to encourage his son, compared the life and persecution of Jesus with that of other philosophers who were persecuted for their ideas. The fact Jesus is known to be a real person with this kind of influence is important. Mara Bar-Serapion refers to Jesus as the “Wise King”:

“What benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death? Famine and plague came upon them as judgment for their crime. Or, the people of Samos for burning Pythagoras? In one moment their country was covered with sand. Or the Jews by murdering their wise king?…After that their kingdom was abolished. God rightly avenged these men…The wise king…Lived on in the teachings he enacted.”

6.Lucian of Samosata: (115-200 A.D.)

Lucian was a Greek satirist who spoke sarcastically of Christ and Christians, but in the process, he did affirm they were real people and never referred to them as fictional characters:

“The Christians, you know, worship a man to this day—the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account….You see, these misguided creatures start with the general conviction that they are immortal for all time, which explains the contempt of death and voluntary self-devotion which are so common among them; and then it was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws. All this they take quite on faith, with the result that they despise all worldly goods alike, regarding them merely as common property.” (Lucian, The Death of Peregrine. 11-13)

7. Josephus (37-101AD)

In more detail than any other non-biblical historian, Josephus writes about Jesus in his “the Antiquities of the Jews” in 93AD. Josephus was born just four years after the crucifixion. He was a consultant for Jewish rabbis at an early age, became a Galilean military commander by the age of sixteen, and he was an eyewitness to much of what he recorded in the first century A.D. Under the rule of Roman emperor Vespasian, Josephus was allowed to write a history of the Jews. This history includes three passages about Christians, one in which he describes the death of John the Baptist, one in which he mentions the execution of James (and describes him as the brother of Jesus the Christ), and a final passage which describes Jesus as a wise man and the messiah. There is much legitimate controversy about the writing of Josephus, because the first discoveries of his writings are late enough to have been re-written by Christians who were accused of making additions to the text. So to be fair, we’ll examine a scholarly reconstruction stripped of Christian embellishment:

“Now around this time lived Jesus, a wise man. For he was a worker of amazing deeds and was a teacher of people who gladly accept the truth. He won over both many Jews and many Greeks. Pilate, when he heard him accused by the leading men among us, condemned him to the cross, (but) those who had first loved him did not cease (doing so). To this day the tribe of Christians named after him has not disappeared” (This neutral reconstruction follows closely the one proposed by John Meier, A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus: The Roots of the Problem and the Person).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit