Some Questions About Jesus

by Coded Logic 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Why didn't Jesus ever write anything? Why are there no letters to Jesus? No painting of Jesus from that time? No busts or sculptures? Why does Matthew say Jesus was born before 3BC while Luke says Jesus was born after 7AD?

Why do Jesus' brothers, whom he supposedly grew up with, James and Jude, never mention that they are Jesus brothers? Why don't they speak of him as a man - but only ever speak of him as a spirit?

How is it that Paul, a man who never met Jesus, became the founder of the Christian church?

Why are all the Gospels written by anonymous authors in third person? Why don't we have a single first hand account of Jesus? And why can't they agree on when he was born, when he died, or the order of events that took place during his life?

Is Jesus a man turned legend? Or just a myth all together?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I view the bible as four books, the OT, Gospels, Paul and Rev.

Making it difficult to understand. OT damn right nuts, Gospels ok, Paul

seeking power (the first JW) and Rev. nothing to do with the other three books.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

No one here now was there then, so who can honestly say?

For me the question is why reduce 'God' or the Source of all life and existence down to a man? How foolish and egotistical is that?

We can't truly understand the amazing dynamics within an amoeba, but yet we convince ourselves we know God.

The older I get the more I know I know nothing, other than we are all insane.

• cofty
    cofty

I am leaning towards the position that there may not have been any historical Jesus.

I am going to read Richard Carrier's new book on the subject.

• Garrett
    Garrett

There is a logical explanation for all of this....

imperfect men! ( you'll get the joke if you read my last post)

no but seriously, the logical explanation is that they are all the same person with multiple personality disorder.

mystery solved

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Why didn't Jesus ever write anything?"

He never thought he would have followers into the indefinite future. He didn't even think there was going to be a future except for "The kingdom of heaven" which was imminent.

"Why are there no letters to Jesus?"

Why write to him if you were following him?

"No painting of Jesus from that time? No busts or sculptures?"

Paintings and busts are made of historically important people which Jesus was not until the Christian church took control a couple hundred years later. Then they made plenty of paintings of him though none are likely to be realistic.

"How is it that Paul, a man who never met Jesus, became the founder of the Christian church?"

The same way Jesus got his followers. Through force of personality.

"Is Jesus a man turned legend? Or just a myth all together?"

Legend but not myth. These religions are always founded by a charismatic individual who makes a deep impression on his followers.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Jesus a man turned legend. If we look at the Roman empire in Jesus day.

They had vast system of business and finance dominated by international

trade, an enforced system of taxation. Sociological, had a assortment of ethnic

people. High government officials, merchants, small business people.

Roman had literature,sculpture,philosophy,art and architecture.

Now all of a sudden a man come on the scene who heal the sick, raised the dead,

reattach a Roman soldier ear and walk on water.

Don't you think the Roman Senate would have had Jesus standing before court

and questioning him about his powers. Instead we have them questioning him

about if he is the king of the Jews.

Forget about being king of some small group of sheep herders, tell us how can we

get your powers.

• gone for good
    gone for good

Funny thing -

just last night I was reading some articles on the historicity of Jesus (and learned a cool new word for authenticity)

Seems there are three widelyrespected references to the man.

His baptism by John seems indisputable as is his death during the time of Pontius Pilate.

None of the other details are deemed as indisputable, and many are regarded as fabrication or legend - the stuff any cult is likely to make up in liew of evidence..whether in the 2nd century or the 21st.

Read a really great christian essay on the political reasons why John the baptist posed a threat to the Romans in Judea and was subsequently offed by the Romans, and how Jesus stepped in the same kaka a few years later with the same result.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Due to the ban on idolatry, the Jews didn't not make busts or paintings of anybody. The Romans would not have considered him a suitable subject for artwork.

• cofty
    cofty
    His baptism by John seems indisputable as is his death during the time of Pontius Pilate.

Why is there absolutely no extra-biblical testimony to Jesus?

The gospels are hopelessly contradictory on the story of his death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit