when you were in, could you imagine yourself in the new system?

by breathing 32 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

Yes! And I figured it would be wonderful! I wanted it very much.

• observador
    observador

Yes, I tried to imagine myself in the "new system" but the thought wouldn't last more than a few seconds.

Imagine a horse pulling cart. How was the cart made? With bare hands? Hardly. It was made using tools, of course. Which tools? Probably metal tools. But, wait a minute? Where are those tools made? By whom? Do you have any idea how dirty and filthy a metal tool shop is?

Also, think of a plowshare. Where is it made? How? By whom?

What's the difference between a plowshare and a GPS-enabled soil-cutting machine? Basically, none. The latter is simply a natural progression of the former. How long would the perfect brain people living in the "new system" come to that realization? How long do think would take for those people to start improving their tools?

So, the more I thought about the new system, the more it looked like the old one.

Ahh, and all that talk about communal living philosophy? Forget it. Communism has fallen in the world for a reason. It simply didn't work.

Obsevador.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Yes I did, but, then I thought how long would it take for me to get bored

• lumper
    lumper

Admit it none of us imagined ourselves in the New sysytem. We had been convinced we were not good enough to go in and would die at Armageddon. A common theme of many of our 1970's conversations were "How is it going to feel taking your last breath at Armageddon"? Of course we were mentally unbalanced cult members :)

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

As a little kid, yeah, I wanted a Panda or a Tiger.

The older I got, the goofier the illustrations in the magazines and books about it seemed. Very surreal.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I could never really picture myself there probably because I also pictured almost everything I love would be gone... my music, my art... sure we'd have music and art in their paradise but the kind I hate... bland, souless versions that make hotel lobby paintings look like masterpieces... I never found myself looking forward to it.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I used to dream of being there in a WT magazine picture mastering one musical instrument at a time and learning how to ice skate perfectly, and traveling the earth.

Heck yeah, I'd have my own little pet lion! Maybe even a snake, too, cuz they're cool.

But then I'd remember that the whole earth would be filled with witnesses and elders would be bossing everyone.

It started looking a bit tarnished after that.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Brinjen,my oldest daughter never wanted to be a Witness for the same reason. She's an artist and of course, unless you want to draw or paint bland art for the WTs, not approved of

I had the same problem as a writer. I could never write what I wanted to write as a Witness. They destroy creativity and self expression, because that is thinking for one's self.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Yep... here's to being ourselves. **raises glass**

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Is it just me or isn't it people's imperfections that sometimes make them interesting people? If we were all perfect we would all end up being the same and I think that would be boring. At least thats what I always thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit