How were Rutherford's Cadillacs purchased?

by InterestedOne 72 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Farkel
    Farkel

Sorry. I haven't read any of the posts on this thread, but I know the answer.

It was the Heath family who paid for them. They also provided the funds for Beth Sarim and probably Beth Shan.

Rutherford had two v12 Cadillacs and a Lincoln at his beck and call. That we know about. He also had five homes at his disposal. And two yachts. And he boinked women who were not his wife. And he was drunk a lot of the time.

And he was a FALSE PROPHET. And a sham and a shameless liar and self-promoter. But worst of all, he was a bully who hurt a LOT of people to glorify himself and allow himself to live like a KING with the money of poor (and I mean POOR because he made SURE they stayed poor) Jehovah's Witnesses.

I've already written exensively about this, but will not provide links because I am accused of shameless promotion of myself for writing about OTHERS. Isn't that a hoot?

Farkel

• VirginiaPatriot
    VirginiaPatriot

You aren't the book's author, so I wouldn't expect you to be in a position to stand in for someone else and debate his position,

And sine you my friend are not the author of the book (the bible), I do not expect you to stand in to debate for a position either. Yet, you feel you can becuase you are "one of His own".

JW's can never take their own advice.

By the way, where is the generation of 1914 that were not supposed to die but see the end? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Doesn't it say in 2nd Timothy 2:23 Not to partake in foolish arguments because they cause quarrels?" Yet, that is what you are doing

Jesus did not "debate", he answered questions as lovingly and honestly as he could. Yet here I am seeing a Witness being drawn into a stupid argument.

If you will not listen to your bible instruction, perhaps Confucius can help you: "The superior man is modest in his speech but exeeds in his actions"

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

djeggnog - I started this thread to ask the question in the title. It had nothing to do with 1914. The discussion started to drift into the idea of nit-picking and how it affects communication with JW's. I only mentioned 1914 as an example of an important doctrinal issue as compared with other miscellaneous issues like what cars Rutherford had - which some might consider nit-picking. I have learned that if I nit-pick with my study conductor, it hampers clear-headed communication between us on doctrinal issues.

You are correct that I didn't ask my study conductor to read "The Gentile Times Reconsidered." I didn't ask him because I know him well enough after over 6 months of interaction that he would not read it and would perceive it as a threat. I wish he would read it so we could be on the same page. I have been more than willing to read all the WT information he has presented to me. However, he is not willing to reciprocate by reading the information I present to him. That is the nature of the relationship between him and me.

As for my relationship with you, I never asked to debate you on any subject. You originally brought up the notion of debating 1914 with me. Regarding that notion, I simply let you know I am reading a book by someone I consider to be a very good author on the matter. Then I said, after you read the book, perhaps you can share your comments on it on another thread. I am not skilled or knowledgable enough about the topic to debate anyone on it. I am currently reading up on it - reading WT as well as non-WT literature. That's all. I'm taking in information.

Thank you for your kind offer to allow me to not discuss 1914 with you. I have no desire to discuss it with you.

As for the thread dying, it was not about 1914. It was asking a question about how Rutherford's Cadillacs were purchased. I hope it continues with anyone contributing information on-topic. bttt please.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Thank you Farkel. I appreciate the information.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Actually, Farkel, if you have a moment, I would be happy to read your writings on the subject if you can PM me the links.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

One should not forget that Rutherford was living as a wealthy man when the

average JW was struggling with the Depression and hard times of that era.

He hardly was emulating Christ and his apostles. At the same time,

Rutherford was criticizing "big business" and the religious institutions

for their profligate ways. It is hardly "nit-picking" to expose this kind

of hypocrisy of a man who was obviously using his position to his

own advantage...whether it was the acceptance of lucrative gifts

or not. Rather, he should have taken Jesus' advice to the rich

young ruler: "Go, sell what you have. Give it to the poor and

come be my follower".

• startingover
    startingover

So was it the Heath's or Robert Martin that donated the property, according to the Golden Age it was Martin.

• dgp
    dgp

Interested One, in my humble opinion, the question is not whether the Heath family gave the Cadillacs, or what model they were. In my humble opinion, the real questions are elsewhere. Pahpa just pointed them out.

You know, a public figure, the leader of a church, whatever, has to be smart enough to know that no presents come to him for free. At the very least, you could say that the Heath family wanted to score points with Jehovah. But you could suspect that, "fallible men" being "fallible men", maybe the Discreet Slave would have to pay back in kind.

Why would a faithful and discreet slave keep those Cadillacs to himself, instead of, say, selling them, and paying for the stay of a zealous pioneer somehwere, to spread the message of Christ? Why would he consent to royal treatment? Why would he live in a special place, the House of Princes? How can this be compared to the extremes some Jehovah's witnesses endure?

What will Rutherford do about that part of the Bible about "he amongs you who wants to be the first, has to be the last"? Washing feet? Eh?

If the man had never had any privileges, and had lived and died in, say, moderation, then I couldn't suspect him of being involved in this for the money. I say "suspect", and actually that is what I believe. He was into religion for the power and the money.

• TD
    TD

I count three different vehicles

#1 A Lincoln pictured in the 1928 Messenger

#2 A Cadillac pictured in the 1931 Messenger.

#3 A Cadillac convertible coupe. 1930 picture from the private collection of William Soper. (Note Beth Sarim in the background)

Vehicles #1 and #2 were both considered limousines in their day. Franklin Delano Rooselvelt and Al Capone both rode around in Cadillacs similar to #2

• Nebeska Nada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit