BLACK HISTORY MONTH SHOULD INCLUDE A WARNING ABOUT THE WATCHTOWER CORPORATION

by wasblind 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    I said the Bible acknowledges slavery; I said nothing about the acceptability of it.

And I asked that by not speaking against it, doesn't the writer know that he is complicit?

If he gave commandmants to not kill, not have false gods, not envy, not lust, couldn't he have added one more, "one must not own as property another human". How hard is that?

The real answer is that slavery was so common and accepted that the creators of God and the Bible never thought to speak against the system. It was as if slavery was the natural order of events.

The God of the Bible is a realist, my friend.

If only all of his creation were as well...

• snowbird
    snowbird
    If he gave commandmants to not kill, not have false gods, not envy, not lust, couldn't he have added one more, "one must not own as property another human". How hard is that?

Could it perhaps be due to the fact that slavery as practiced then was simply an economic arrangement, similar to our present employer/employee system?

You don't have to kill, make an idol, envy, or engage in lust, but you gotta eat!

Syl

• jay88
    jay88

Perhaps we should ask an old timer here. When did WTBTS officially stop segregation in the KH?

• Mr. Falcon
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WASBLIND: I also was disturbed by the religion's use of the word slaves (as in 'good for nothing slaves') when speaking to the congregation. It was quite obvious to me that they wanted us to get used to the idea of being enslaved in some way. Thankfully, I never totally bought their bill of goods. This religion wants you to check your brain at the door, then you'll listen to anything.

• steve2
    steve2
    The Bible doesn't condone slavery; it acknowledges its existence, and gives guidelines on how to treat those who fall into such straits.

At the risk of deviating from the thrust of the main thred which is focusing on the Watchtower Corporation let me state the following:

Not only does the Bible condone slavery (see the first few books of the Hebrew Scriptures for stunning examples) but it speaks glowingly of other activities that modern humankind find very disturbing and even disgusting.

Genocide is a prime example: i.e., Yahweh God commanded his chosen people to wipe out all human beings, including babies, when they entered the "Promised Land". Those who take the Bible to be the inspired word of God, need to be very selective and astute apologists to explain their "Perfect" God's sanctioning of genocide.

My view is uncomplicated: Both slavery and genocide are archaic, repulsive yet backed up by ancient Scripture; yet out of the two, slavery is probably the lesser evil. If we get upset about slavery (as I think we should) how much more upset should we be about the wiping out of entire peoples (genocide still happens).

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Mr. Falcon.

I totally get your point, Steve.

I think we're just looking at the situation from different angles.

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=_e-K55hLri8&vq=medium#t=285

This is the video that shows a good comparison to the Watchtower concerning education

not intended to offend anyone but the WTS

• wasblind
    wasblind

Well this month is comin' to a close and in honor of this month

I think it is best concluded by pointing out in this last post

a very poignant similarity of the WTS and slavery.

Watchtower 1999 10/1 p. 8 par. 13 Of course, the fact that Jehovah?s servants "weep" over the sorry state of world affairs does not preclude their being happy. On the contrary! They are actually the happiest group of people on earth.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I say this as a Black woman,

Black folks need to wake up and get

the hell out of Dodge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit