BLACK HISTORY MONTH SHOULD INCLUDE A WARNING ABOUT THE WATCHTOWER CORPORATION

by wasblind 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird
    the Bible as a collection of ancient writings that supported the mistreatment of people, slaves, women and children included.

This is where we will have to disagree, Steve.

The Bible doesn't condone slavery; it acknowledges its existence, and gives guidelines on how to treat those who fall into such straits.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Never get tired, or be done with a story that needs to be told

Just saw this.

That is so true; I will keep it in mind.

Syl

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WAS BLIND:

I know where you are coming from but many years ago, one of the older ladies in the congregation said that "the Truth was a step up for certain ones in the black community". At the time, I thought to myself that it was a condescending thing to say.

Hope this doesn't ruin your dinner.

• undercover
    undercover
    The Bible doesn't condone slavery; it acknowledges its existence

Shouldn't one condemn what is immoral? Especially the writer(s) of the most important book in the world? By not doing so, doesn't the writer(s) become culpable in the misdeed?

Shall we make comparisons to those that were complacent with slavery before the War Between the States? Not all condoned but acknowledged and lived with it. Are they innocent as is the writer of the Bible? Or should they have worked harder to overcome the immorality of it? Is Lincoln not revered in this area for a reason?

• snowbird
    snowbird

We're all - immoral as well as moral - condemned, per the Good Book.

How our Creator has put up with us is beyond my ken.

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Undercover,

my daughter took a black history course in college

and before she sold her books there were a lot of

suprising things in there about Lincoln, I now look

at him in a much dimmer light, but it was the sign of

the times back then. The history books in grade school

and even high school are sugared up versions of U.S history

that goes to show we learn somethin' everyday especially when we

further our education

• undercover
    undercover
    We're all - immoral as well as moral - condemned, per the Good Book.

Cop out...

Let's analyze the rest of your statement:

and gives guidelines on how to treat those who fall into such straits.

So, going by the Bible, the Good Book, if one should own slaves, as long as they are treated per the guidelines laid out therein, it's acceptable? At what point does it not become acceptable? At what point would the Bible lay fault to the system of slavery?

And what about those that didn't just fall into such straits but were dragged from their homes and forced into it? Why no condemnation of that?

• undercover
    undercover
    there were a lot of suprising things in there about Lincoln, I now look at him in a much dimmer light, but it was the sign of the times back then.

Revisionist history after the assisination of a leader often changes history's perception, true. America has it's own amount of propaganda that is sometimes hard to muddle through.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Cop out...

Nope.

Pure theology.

So, going by the Bible, the Good Book, if one should own slaves, as long as they are treated per the guidelines laid out therein, it's acceptable? At what point does it not become acceptable? At what point would the Bible lay fault to the system of slavery?

I said the Bible acknowledges slavery; I said nothing about the acceptability of it.

And what about those that didn't just fall into such straits but were dragged from their homes and forced into it? Why no condemnation of that?

The whole system of man's inhumanity to his fellow is condemned by these words: "You must love your fellow as yourself."

How many of us live up to this commandment?

If God were to condemn us for all the bad things we do, it would have been a continuous wiping out of humans and starting over again.

The God of the Bible is a realist, my friend.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

WasBlind, Lerone Bennett, Jr. wrote a book -Forced Into Glory - about Lincoln's waffling on slavery.

It's an eye-opener for many.

Not surprising, though.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit