Bethel Entrants' School Lecture 2-D

by Marvin Shilmer 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

The 'worshipping' of GB-members is very American I guess. I remember the international convention in Paris when Bro Barr had the latest talk. I was talking with a few American bro/sis's and they were crying because they just spoke with him. Maybe I responded a bit too Dutch and down too earth, but they got very angry with me when I said 'why, he's just a brother, the same as us'...

My dad went to the international convention in Neurenberg in the 60's and still tells to studies that bro Knorr was waiting in the same queue for coffee as he was. I guess it is very important for Dutch people that you stay 'normal'. (Dutch saying:'Just act normal, then you're acting crazy enough as it is!) Show-offs and people who brag about how much money they're worth are usually put to their place. Our mayer for example cycles to his work every day. So we just try to ignore that 'diva-behavior'...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    I'm sorry brodan I find the signing bibles thing hard to believe.

I would've too if I hadn't seen it myself. But it's a true story. I watched him sign several bibles.

• undercover
    undercover
    The GB are total celebrities there.

They're total celebreties at any JW event. I remember when I was little, Knorr came to our fair city for a special day talk and dubs from far and wide came and filled up a coliseum that even the local sports teams couldn't fill. I only saw him on stage so I don't know if he was swarmed before or after, if he even bothered to hobnob with the lowly rank and file even.

But - I also remember when Henschel came to one of our District Conventions. I just happened to be passing by the "secret" door to the hidden chambers where all the Bethel and local elder heavies hid, er I mean, worked hard behind the scenes...when Henschel came out alone. I recognized him and thought 'wow - a GB member right there'. I had no intention of speaking to him or bothering him but then out of nowhere Beatlemania erupted. People flocked around him as if he were Christ himself. Maybe some thought they'd be healed if they could just touch the hem of his garment. It was a moment of clarity. I saw worship of men by the very people who were supposed to be above that. And I saw a man relishing in that worship as he soaked up all the praise and well-wishing. My viewpoint of the GB changed that day. I no longer saw them in the same light. All I saw were men in a position of power and glory who were letting it go to their heads.

Similar thing happened with Sydlik. He came for a special talk and he just soaked up all the praise and glory. Other than on stage I didn't see him. He worked the crowd afterwards and all I saw was a horde of people moving en masse as he moved around the auditorium.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Thanks for sharing that, brotherdan. That is just so weird! Studying the life stories of leaders? There's good reason not a lot of JW's are aware of that.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

would have said the same here in the UK,if it was mentioned in a KM that a GB member would be coming to Twickenham to give a talk at this years DC you can bet the event would close to sell out.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Wow what a crazy thread. I thought all praise and glory was suppose to be given to Jehovah.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I have my notes and information as well. It's been awhile since I've looked at them. I saved a lot of paperwork from Bethel. Dish duty notices, etc etc.

• Ding
    Ding
    Wow what a crazy thread. I thought all praise and glory was suppose to be given to Jehovah.

Yes, and how grateful we all should be that we have the FDS organization and its wonderful GB to tell us so... :)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

GAG ME!!! I forgot about dish duties. And all night watchman duties. blerg!

• Joliette
    Joliette

Ding: LOL

Surely, this is God's true Organization!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit