2011 Yearbook - "Tracing All Things with Accuracy"

by pirata 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44
    So how do we check for quality, accuracy, and reliability?...

If enlarged to the size of a football field, a web of dragline silk 0.4 inch thick with strands 1.6 inches apart could stop a jumbo jet in flight!...

Many hours of research and meticulous calculations eventually confirmed the accuracy of this astounding piece of information.

No silk web of that size exists, and so no one knows what properties it would have.

For all we know, silk strands hundreds of feet long and 0.4 inch in diameter might not be possible!

Scaling the properties of silk could lead to false predictions.

What did The Watchtower confirm? Only the calculations that were performed, but nothing about the silk itself!

• VM44
    VM44

Did The Watchtower give a reference for "football sized web stopping a Jumbo Jet" information in the Life brochure?

Or was it anonymously presented like they often do?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

do not rely on blogs or poorly documented Web entries written by unidentified or unqualified persons

And yet they demand that 7 million JWs rely on mags and poorly documented books and brochures written by unidentified and unqualified persons.

Oh the irony. I don't know whether to laugh or weep.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No mention of Francis Hitchin, the oft quoted psuedo scientist and diviner from the creation book.

What a load of misleading trollope.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Maybe before the Writing Department selectively quotes the famous 30. August 1914 World article in yet another publication, they will actually compare (bzw. contrast) its claims to what Russell had actually written in The Time is at Hand...

• undercover
    undercover
    Instead of putting all that effort into verifying whether spider silk is really so strong, how about availing themselves to the wealth of information in that vast university library and elsewhere to verify whether the 607 BC date is correct? What kind of corroboration would they likely find in such research?

• Listener
    Listener

our researchers do not rely on blogs or poorly documented Web entries written by unidentified or unqualified persons.

How often is the reader able to identify the writer of WTBS publications let alone their qualifications? Neither of that information is forthcoming. The writers are told not to let it be known - such integrity.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It's all been said already but I have to say:

Wow. Just wow.

• eric356
    eric356

This whole excerpt is pure gold. Being that I've personally gone through each reference in both the "Was Life Created?" and "The Origin of Life: Five Questions Worth Asking" and seen all the BS the WT pulls, I know they are just purposely lying, not being incompetent.

"Although the source for this statement was a reputable science magazine..." You mean one of those magazines that talks about evolution and the Big Bang and human civilization 15,000 years ago and dinosaurs eating meat? One of those magazines?

"Our researchers also had to find the formula and the information needed to calculate for themselves what impact a jumbo jet may have on a spiderweb the size of a football field. Many hours of research and meticulous calculations eventually confirmed the accuracy of this astounding piece of information." Put simply, it took a bunch of WT "researchers" hours to do a problem that could be used as an example in a sophmore dynamics class.

"Reportedly, a visiting atheist asked: "Who made it?" When Newton answered, "Nobody!" the atheist replied, "You must think I am a fool!" Newton is then said to have told the atheist that his puny imitation of the much grander solar system proves there there has to be a designer or a maker. As appealing as this account may be, historical sources, as well as Newton scholards and biographers, cannot provide evidence that this conversation really occurred. Interestingly, the earliest reference to this incident appeared in the early 1800's using, not Newton's name, but the name of German scholar Athanasius Kircher." Wow, religious people using apocryphal stories to smear atheists? Who would have thunk it! Soon you're going to tell me that the story about Einstein arguing with his biology professor about evolution was just made up by some idiot on the internet!

• VM44
    VM44

If anyone wants to read the researcher's report containing the "spider web and jumbo jet" calculation, here is a link to it.

Spinning of Synthetic Spider Silk-Like Fibers and Ex Vivo Rheology of Spider Silk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit