• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

OMG

wikipedia is more reliable than the WT writing department

they make me wanna puke!

oz

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Wow this article is so full of mistakes, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

How about the life stories where a witness relates how he was first contacted by the Bible Students in the very early 1900s and was told by the Bible Students that Jesus presence had begun in 1914? It doesn't take much "research" to know that up until the 30s they taught that Jesus' invisble presence began in 1874.

I predict this thread will go on for dozens of pages.

No Apologies

• Ding
    Ding

If you're trying to trace all things with accuracy, you'll steer clear of WT publications.

They become unreliable "old light" in two years or less.

If quoted at freeminds.org or on JWN, they have turned into "apostate literature."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

They make an argument in favour of print sources of information over online sources, which on the face of it is not all that surprising from a publishing company that is well over 100 years old and is increasingly slow to adapt. Yet they fail to acknowledge that a lot of published material is also made available online these days, and that trend can only accelerate. In fact maybe the Yearbook itself will be available online on their website, in which case you will have the irony of the statement in this publication denigrating online sources itself being found online, at which point presumably it can no longer be trusted.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Also the comment about not relying on blogs as sources of information is interesting because online Witness blogger Solomon Landers appears to have been their main source of information for the article in the Watchtower a couple of years ago about the Coptic version of John 1:1

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/165941/1/Coptic-John-1-1-makes-it-into-the-Watchtower

http://copticjohn.blogspot.com/

• zoiks
    zoiks
    Instead of putting all that effort into verifying whether spider silk is really so strong, how about availing themselves to the wealth of information in that vast university library and elsewhere to verify whether the 607 BC date is correct?

Exactly!

This is simply a case of misdirection on the WTS' part, IMO.

• bobld
    bobld

I always get a good laugh when they(GB) say "proper food at the proper or right time".When they say things like the generation that saw 1914 would not pass away before the end of the system of things.And I would have to hold my tongue and say to myself you are wrong.If I said anything I would be DF'D for apostasy.Or I would have to wait for the light to get brighter for the GB and than they would try and weasel their way out by saying it was my fault for running ahead of their ORG.Oh they would claim it is Gods' org.

Also all the bs in books as proper food at the proper time.Oh I get it we the J.W. are NOT to read any books that are not edited by the GB.Otherwise we would be smarted then the GB.They don't want anyone educated.Reminds me of how powerful leaders(Hilter) would get rid of the educated elite.

B

• Perry
    Perry

And here are some of their past tracings:

In several Watchtower publications, the Society has favorably cited the work of Johannes Greber as supporting its theology and key bible passages. Greber’s stand on many major doctrines is identical to that of the Watchtower Society. In 1923, Greber, who was a Roman Catholic priest, became interested in communication with spirit beings. These spirits often spoke through his wife, who was a spirit medium. The spirits told him that the Bible was full of errors and couldn’t be trusted and that he should translate his own. His experiences with spirits and their communications with him are related in his book, Communication With the Spirit World, published in 1932. As a reminder, Deuteronomy 18 commands:

10 There shall not be found among you any one …that useth divination …or a charmer… or a consulter with familiar spirits…For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD

And again in Leviticus chapter 20 He warns:

6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off…

In open rebellion to God, Greber consulted the demons through his wife and other spirit mediums when facing ‘difficult’ passages while working on his bible translation. In the Forward to his "bible", he states that sometimes the correct translation would supernaturally appear as letters on the wall.

I own a copy of Greber’s bible and it is identical to many passages in the New World Translation, especially those dealing with foundational Christian truths. The facts simply do not allow for the Watchtower to plead ignorance on this matter. Here are just a few citations to demonstrate the Watchtower's early acknowledgement of Greber’s demonic involvement:

"Very plainly the spirits in which ex-Catholic priest Greber believes helped him in his translation" (W.T. 2/15/56/ p.111).

Also in that 1956 issue of the Watchtower magazine we find the following quote:

“Says Johannes Greber in the introduction of his translation of The New Testament, copyrighted in 1937: ‘I myself was a Catholic priest, and until I was forty-eight years old had never as much as believed in the possibility of communicating with the world of God's spirits. The day came, however, when I involuntarily took my first step toward such communication, and experiencing things that shook me to the depths of my soul. . .My experiences are related in a book that has appeared in both German and English and bears the title, Communication with the Spirit World: Its Laws and Its Purpose.’ "

So, if the Watchtower knew that spirits had assisted Johannes Greber in “translating” his bible version as early as 1956, why would they use him to support various renderings of the NWT for the next 20 years? Here are a few of those citations:

Aid to Bible understanding Page 1669, (Pub. 1969) The Word
    Aid to Bible understanding Page 1134, (Pub. 1969) Memorial tombs
    Make sure of all things... Page 489, "a god"
    The Watchtower 9/15/1962 Pg 554, The Word
    The Watchtower 10/15/1975 Pg 640 No Resurrection
    The Watchtower 4/15/1976 Pg 231 No Resurrection
    The Word Pg 5 "a God

• therevealer
    therevealer

I like where they say that with further research they have concluded that the 1914 doctrine and the overlapping generation doctrine have been shown to be simply the imaginations of over zealous old men.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Sometimes even minor statements require additional research to confirm their accuracy. For instance, a brother may say in his life story that he was born in Czechoslovakia in 1915. But Czechoslovakia did not come into existence until 1918. So, where was he born? Settling the question might require examining old maps or historical records.

....or he might claim to be 'annointed' or some other unbelievable cobblers! EG. Some silly experience involving a 'truth book' hitting him on the head and knocking him out. Thus he found the 'trooooooOOOoOOOOooOOth!'

Does the writing department deliberately write such boring backpeddling nonsense?

Oh, sorry of course it does! It's the propoganda technique of 'cognitive dissonance' or baffle them with BS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit