Did you ever find the meetings refreshing?

by highdose 44 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

I can remember one pompous elder asking me "how can you be depressed after sittiing through such a wonderful meeting?!!"

I only ever felt relief at getting away, what about you?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I can't even remember the last time I felt refreshed at a meeting. And believe me...I've tried to lie to myself and feel refreshed. But it doesn't happen. Especially after you know that what they are telling you is total...

+

• baltar447
    baltar447

The only reason you're refreshed after the meeting is because ITS OVER.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I found them exciting in the beginning when I was fired up with a biblical zeal to "preach the goods news."

Later, when I realized that the JW "good news" was not so good after all, I found them thoroughly depressing.

Syl

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I told myself that I felt refreshed if somebody made a good-sounding point about something.

But it's really just cognitive dissonance. You tell yourself you must enjoy the meeting/find refreshment or why else would you go?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

There's been times I've heard something from the platform, or a comment during the Bible Highlights that touched me. For the most part though, nope, I'm usually more mentally exhausted and stressed after a meeting than before I walked in the hall. I tell you, the drive home from a meeting is like being released from a prison term.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

misery, couldn't have put it better myself. The drive home was refreshing. I remember even as a kid walking in the front door after the meeting and taking a deep breath and thinking "Ok, it's over."

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

My favorite part has always been the closing prayer.

Rub a Dub

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

When I was a kid, I used to do a count down during the prayer. I would usually start too early and count down from 10...and then have to restart the countdown.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I am with OTWO, I told myself that they were refreshing but I truly never felt good. I was always stressed out that I would offend someone, especially being an elders wife I was always saying the wrong thing and so I just stayed to myself most of the time as it was safer that way but the stress was a killer.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit