Our Stories and Why They Matter

by Farkel 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I'd like to write it before I die, because I am dying. Of emphysema.

Then you must. That's not a request. You have something to say and you owe it to yourself, more than anyone else, that what you have to say be said.

I am sorry Doug. On that day I will grieve. You are a barmy old curmudgeon. I wish we could have lured you down to one of the infamous Dallas apostafests back in the day. I've met literally hundreds of people from this board, you are someone I'd have liked to have shared a glass or three of single malt with and just had a good talk with.

So instead you can tell your story here. If you think stories don't matter, or don't live on, type in "Bill Bibbee" into Google. There you will a letter my ex wife wrote to the elders after his suicide. Stories do live on after we are gone. He's been gone for 8 years and yet a poignant part of his life story is there for anyone to see, and perhaps learn from.

Be well my friend,

Chris

• Farkel
    Farkel

flipper,

:I'd love to read your story. Is it on another website ?

Barbara Anderson and I talked for hours the other day and she asked me to put the rest of it on her site. I haven't written any more nor have I considered writing any more, but if and when I do, I will probably give it to her to post. I've also considered submitting the rest of it to another site which is well-respected and trusted where people can just read it and not be jerks and piss on it and vilify me like a few do in here.

I will debate just about anything. But I consider it an indignity to debate over my most intimate sharing of experiences to others who are total strangers who don't even know me.

Why should anyone need to debate FACTS about someone who shares private information about their own parents?

Farkel

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have given a lot of thought to this subject in the past few years. In fact, I've been working on telling my story for the past decade or more. I've done many countless hours of oral history with my mom and some with my sister, and other relatives. I want to write my story but have it completely contextualized and as accurate as possible (e.g. avoid anachronisms and have things tied down as accurately as possible); I find it valuable to cross-check my memories with those of others as a check on faults in recall and what not. When I do write, I want to start two years before I was born and tell how my parents met and go from their point of view until was born and then through my life, devoting a chapter per year to about age 30 at least. This is something I don't want to write for anybody; in fact I don't know if I would ever have anyone read it. Maybe only those closest to me, those few I can trust completely, as I want to write my experiences fully without worrying about what anyone else would think, as there are some experiences I don't want anyone to know about. I mainly want to do this because I've lived through a lot and I feel writing it down would 1) externalize it (rather than keep it bottled inside), 2) objectify it (reify it into an object rather than let it remain subjective), and 3) preserve it (rather than let the memories fade away). I just feel that it would put my life in context, remind me of where I've been and where I'm going, and have everything down in one place in case I later forget or lose my memories.

• flipper
    flipper

FARKEL- Thanks for the update. I'll look forward to reading it when it gets posted and put on Barbara's site. I agree, no reason to subject ourselves to being pissed on for sure. Your story DOES matter to me- perhaps if we go to lunch in a couple weeks you can give me a preview somewhat, eh ? Take care

• VM44
    VM44

I've forgotten my story.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dear, dear Daddy-O... the greatest of love and peace to you... and if you haven't done so already... get and take your meds (see PM in about 5-10 minutes). ASAP. Or I will report you to the JWN JC (Outlaw, Lady Lee, and about 15 others)... and we will all condescend on [your town]... hold you down (I will personally sit on your chest - which WILL kill you!) and do it for you. And you KNOW I'm not joking.

'Cmon, Doug.

Your servant, friend, and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Violia
    Violia

Farkel (Doug) from me to you. ( with your permission) I am so sorry to hear of your illness. I too will grieve .

Grandma Jones started a thread on the Awake and rape. I was finally able to tell the board what happened to me. I did have to leave out identifying details which makes me sad, but still I was able to tell a lot of it. That of course is not my entire life. I have had some wonderful things happen to me. I am the grandmother to twins. I once saw a throw pillow that said" If I had known grandchildren were this much fun, I'd have had them first". :) Every chance my hubby and I get we tell them about our life growing up. We share what wisdom we have aquired with them. I know they won't forget . It is how we "will always be with them".

V

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Farkel you rock!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: You are a barmy old curmudgeon. I wish we could have lured you down to one of the infamous Dallas apostafests back in the day.

I am not a curmudgeon. I only fake that part. Ask anyone who knows me personallyl

With regards to the Dallas apostofests, I was there if only in spirit. Remember
    Xenas (Lisas) "name that apostate" game that she had where Valis played? I was that bad boy on the phone and Valis nailed me without hesitation.

At least that's the way I remember it about 5 or 6 years ago...

I'm senile....Give me a break!

Farkel

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

What you say is true, Farkel. Every bit of human wisdom, and every part of human experience, is a gift to the rest of mankind. Whether it is information that advances technology, a new idea, or just a bit of folksy humor a la Mark Twain, we take from it something that we need and want. I enjoy reading your posts, and although I am new to the board, I will say that it doesn't take years of being here to begin to form opinions as to the relative worth and the amount of thought that a poster brings to this board. Although I hope I never fall by the sword to those here with rapier wit, it is a privilege to share this forum with them. And Farkel, you add very meaningful ideas. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit