The Bible as inerrant and complete, or sufficient.

by dgp 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Heaven
    Heaven

"One prominent scholar once said, "God is just like men. He does not know anything more than men know." What a profound statement. We were created in God's image. Why should we think that God knows more than we do?!?"

Yeah... luckily the book of Genesis will do that to ya. You can dodge out of reading more of the Bible early enough that you save yourself some time that can be used for more productive purposes like getting your hair washed or changing the tires on your jeep.

• Ding
    Ding

Villabolo,

As I pointed out in another thread regarding your Ezra passage, you left out the first six verses of the chapter which list other sources of gold and silver. That's why the numbers from verse 7 on don't add up to the total at the end.

If you want to challenge the Bible's accuracy, fine, but please don't just cite half a passage and wonder why it doesn't make sense without the first half.

• donuthole
    donuthole

One of things about the Bible Canon that I always found strange was the idea that the Watchtower promoted that apostasy came into the Christian congregation very early on, corrupting it doctrinely, and yet at the same time they would hold that this same group of apostates could be trusted in the canonization process. The other thing was that the Watchtower insisted that God protected the Bible through the years and brought it to modern times complete and yet somehow he couldn't keep his personal name in it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The Bible is God's Word in HUMAN words as such it may be infalliable but not inerrant.

Nowehere does the bible or any bible writer claim to be inerrant.

They were human as where the scribes that came after them, not to mention that the bible is MORE than just the word of God as spoken by the prophets, it is also a history book, a book of parables and stories, a book of pain, anguish, love, hope and faith.

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

I'm glad the bible has errors. It leaves room for holy spirit to work with our intelligence to figure things out.

If it were inerrant and perfect it would be a "law over man" or a burden which many religious leaders make it now.

The bible is more than its words. The act of opening it, reading, holding the book, attempting to get God's understanding, and all the other little processes it takes to just read a book opens up a focus that not even scientists quite understand.

Maybe its a form of meditation to read. Not really sure, but I like it. So you end up getting something out of it although you may not fully understand the words. Hell, it was written over 2000 years ago and a much different time. Of course you wont get it right off. Not a reason not to try.

The bible has errors. Im glad about that. What I don't like is manipulative people coming in and exploiting those errors to their benefit.

DJP

• trevor
    trevor

After so much debate on the merits of the Bible it must be clear that it has been put together in a deliberately ambiguous way. It is all things to all people. Whatever you want it to be. A luck dip, one size fits all, romp of a story. What more could a boy or girl want?

Some passages are errant others inerrant. You choose. If you don't agree with one writer then pick another. Christians can't agree amongst themselves. Agnostics and athiests spend vast amounts of time debating the accuracy of a book they don't believe in. And baiting Christians, who in return welcome the opportunity to strengthen their faith and flex their spiritual muscles.

Is Bible debate the most widespread sport in the world?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. It's great fun. Long may the sport continue! As long as it doesn't cost us our grip on reality. Ex Jehovah's witnesses have all made that mistake before.

• dgp
    dgp

Donuthole,

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

God doesn't need the bible or any book for that matter, to convey himself to Man.

That is what the HS is for.

That man chooses to put things in writing, well that is man's choice.

Before writing it was conveyed by oral tradition.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The bible is more than its words. The act of opening it, reading, holding the book, attempting to get God's understanding, and all the other little processes it takes to just read a book opens up a focus that not even scientists quite understand.

I would agree with this and say it applies to ANY book or piece of literature or art, not just the Christian version of the Bible. God's words are language and the communication of human thoughts and spirit and aren't exclusive to one book.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    God's words are language and the communication of human thoughts and spirit and aren't exclusive to one book.

Or even one religion or one expression of faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit