The Bible as inerrant and complete, or sufficient.

by dgp 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

PSac, you're one of the coolest Christians I know. You grok what it's all about.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Yes - he can inspire the Aztecs to rip out hearts, Catholics to burn protestants and Israelites to kill babies equally well - the book is rather superfluous I agree.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac, you're one of the coolest Christians I know. You grok what it's all about.

Your words are too kind but warm my heart :)

Yes - he can inspire the Aztecs to rip out hearts, Catholics to burn protestants and Israelites to kill babies equally well - the book is rather superfluous I agree.

Love inspires love, forgivness, compassion, tolerance it does NOT inspire hate, anger, violence or death.

Man does horrific deeds with MANY an inspiration, he doesn't need God for that or the bible.

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

Very good points Mad and PSac!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I beg to disagree:

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 10:34-39 NASB)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it."

*damn thiso quote function*

Are you asking what Jesus meant here or are you stating that, in accordance with ALL of his teachinngs, that Jesus is advocating hate and violence and disorder?

Because that doesn't seem to be very consistent with His teachings, you agree?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Jesus was NEVER consistent. Think about it. If he represented his father and was one with him then who was responsible for the flood, the order to kill babies and take virgins for sex, who was responsible for causing war across Palestine? If Jesus was seriously saying he was god or was united with god then he must have agreed with all the death an destruction dished out by the vengeful OT god.

• tec
    tec

Or, Qcmbr, Jesus came to show us His Father as His Father truly is. It isn't the OT that shows us who God is; it is Christ who does this.

Tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Last time I checked God was still lining up eternal hell and an Armageddon.

I do not want am immoral god who requires offspring sacrifice as a precondition for the privilege of worshipping aforementioned being forever and should I not accept that act of barbarity, to pay for breaking a set of arbitrary rules he does not even have the decency to present in a clear unambiguous format I will be punished eternally.

Jesus is as ineffective nowadays as he was in bible times, for every person he spat in the mud to give them their sight back he ignored millions of other sightless rinse and repeat the equation for everything he ever 'did'.

I do not wish to be rendered undefended by some crazy talk - 'turn the other cheek' - this is victim speak. Peace is always won it does not come by singing kumbaya. On the other hand I do not wish to squander my peace on a 'God told me to do it' war against foreign countries.

I do not accept a god who says that I am no good or unacceptable without a vicarious sacrifice. I do not accept a god who posits faith as more real than fact. I do not accept a god who - via his earthly representative/representation - endorsed slavery, endorsed patriarchal dominance of women and did nothing for homosexuals except leave a confused trail of ignorance that would be exploited by his followers thereafter.

I can do without that kind of love.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

jesus was cool. he brought more wine when everyone was already drunk. lazarus had a huge hangover though, he didn't get up in like 3 days or so... just imagine the stench.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit