Help: Re: Letter to elders NOT to disfellowship otherwise legal action will be taken

by LouBelle 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mamalove
    mamalove

I have never been able to locate a post on whether or not it works. Has anyone else ever got confirmation that this is a good way to get them to mind their own business?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

That probably worked in 1999, but they are much more legally organized now. I suspect the elders would immediately call the legal desk who would direct the them to proceed without regard to the legally inactionable threats.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I don't think that they legally have to follow a letter like that...

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I am only in the "cease and desist" mode right now because the elders admitted to my mom that they were peeking into my windows- I wrote the cease letter to the elder body, registered a copy with the local police department and sherriff department- I explained that the next action from me if this is ignored is a Personal Protection Order. But I know this would not stop them from DFing me...but I sent the letter 3 weeks ago and no response from anyone

The police department was nice and friendly and only commented that their actions were "really messed up".

You can PM me if you want to see any of these letters

CHG

• flipper
    flipper

MAMALOVE, JUSTIA, & BROTHER DAN- It worked for me. After fading for 3 years the elders DFed me when I wouldn't attend the JC. To be able to still talk with my 80 something year old JW parents- I appealed the decision and won my appeal case overturning the DFing. I used the Doc Bob letter threatening a lawsuit if I was unjustly DFed and said I'd sue them for slander and defamation of character. They contacted Bethel legal and were told to overturn my DFing . It worked probably due to that pressure I exerted AND the fact they had no eyewitnesses to my alleged " circumstancial fornication ".

My advice to you Loubelle is fight them for all your worth. Make it as difficult as you can for them. They hate hassles. But they deserve ANY hassle they get. They have it coming to them

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Wow! Nice, Flipper!

• Ding
    Ding

About 30 years ago I had a friend who left along with his family.

I don't know the exact wording, but he told me he sent a letter to the elders saying something like this: "My family and I are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses and do not recognize your authority over us. If you take any action to disfellowhip us, to defame us, or to cause people to shun us, we will sue you personally as well as the Watchtower organization."

As far as I know, they just let them go.

I don't want to mislead anyone; I can't guarantee that that would work today.

They might still make the "X is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" announcement and the brothers would know what to do.

I don't know if the WTS would fear losing the lawsuit so much as they would fear the bad publicity it would generate.

• mamalove
    mamalove

CHG!!!! They admitted to looking in your windows?!!!

• Gayle
    Gayle

You are in a different country than the U.S., correct? With legal things, I would suggest talking to a lawyer.

I know a case, a little over a year ago. The ex-JW sent a letter, many pages, to the elders (respectfully explaining his spiritual or conscience path), suggested he would take legal action if DF'd, the ex-JW put up Christmas lights, he was not informed by the elders but later found out through relatives he was officially DF'd. Never personally notified. In the U.S., there is not much that can be done 'after' the fact.

Fact is, no matter what a doubting, leaving or ex-JW thinks or says, it does not mean a damn thing to the elders, GB or WTS or their legal department. Even if the family or some very dear friends will (now under GB orders) will not speak to the DF'd, the WTS attitude is, "?? he had it comin'! ??"

I personally, think going into a 2+ page writeup to the WTS/elders/GB by any exiting JW relating personal thought processes and re-analyzation of scripture, WT policy or personal life experiences is very naive and a pure waste of time, 'casting pearls before swine.'

Now, there is still no guarantee, but a one-page letter from an attorney, can force the issue of required 'lawyer protocol/privilege.' I suspect at least the elders feel a 'poke in the nose' with a letter from a lawyer. Then, the lawyers have to do their 'dance.' Communications between lawyers must ensue. What the WTS lawyers do from that point on is unpredictable.

I know of a case, a former JW, presented a lawyer letter right at the KH before the meeting it was going to be announced. It was a case going quite 'fast,' within a few days. The lawyer was never contacted later. The former JW was never contacted later. Nothing was 'read' about anything. No "no longer a JW" announcement. Her immediate family still talk with her, because nothing was ever announced about it.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Here is the letter my wife and I wrote to the elders, which contains what you want:

http://www.watchtowerletters.com/our_letter_elders.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit