My Mother-In-Law is seeing the light!

by brotherdan 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I would suggest that for each issue, doctrine, scandal, or question she is interested in - that she take each thing one at a time. First, research it secularly. Get an understanding of the issue and the arguments. Then, go back to the WT Library and research it through the WT lens. This worked incredibly well for me. On several issues, the WT explanations fold under the overwhelming weight of evidence to their contrary. When you take a clear, well informed, well documented, well rounded argument and then hold it up to a flimsy, stretched, one-sided, narrow argument, the results are inevitable. The truth will shine through.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

My mother-in-law recently sent me this regarding my FIL:

He thinks you are an apostate because you question the organization. He would not say anything because of (brodans wife) but that is the only reason.

So I asked her if she thought he would go to the elders about me. She said he wouldn't because he wants to avoid all confrontation. But I wonder if they came to HIM and asked him about it, if he would spill the beans. Really...at this point I don't care. I'm tired of hiding in the shadows.

• Ding
    Ding

He thinks you are an apostate because you question the organization.

You WT apologists on the board who keep telling us that the WTS doesn't claim to be infallible, inspired, or perfect...

... please explain then why it is considered apostasy to question the organization...

• whathappened
    whathappened

Brother Dan, what's going on in the past couple of weeks with your mother in law? I have been doing youtube. There are so many fabulous videos on YouTube on JW dirty laundry and it is most entertaining. Some of them use humor and when you use humor, it doesn't make it seem so dark and scary.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Sorry, can't read beyond the second post on page two.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Gary, see if changing your browser helps.... I'm using firefox.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

We have been talking just about every day about the organization.

So BIG news. She told my wife about the 2/15 WT about likening the df'd to demons. When we talked later she said, "(brotherdan'swife) is much farther along than you think. I told her about the 2/15 WT and she said, "That is just plain cruel of the Watchtower". I think she is on the edge here. We have to be delicate in this situation. I think she's going to realize the truth about the organization very soon now!"

I couldn't believe it! I knew that I wouldn't be the one to help my wife, but I knew the spirit would use SOMEONE. Never would've thought it would be my MIL.

So I'm taking things slow. My MIL is getting more fed up with the organization by the day. She told my wife that she is just going to get reinstated so she can talk to her other daughters, and then fade. My wife said, "That sounds fine to me." Can't believe it....

The problem is that I see her faith leaving too. Damn the Watchtower for what they do to people's faith. I've seen it here, and I see it in my MIL. She has this huge hole in her life now. Anytime I bring up faith in Jesus, she doesn't really comment. I think doctrinally she still is stuck in the WT mind set in many regards.

Any Christians that are reading this, please pray for my wife and mother-in-law that they will see the light of Christ.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Despite our differences, I'm really glad to hear about your MIL and wife! I hope your family emotionally reunites outside the Watchtower's borders.

I couldn't believe it! I knew that I wouldn't be the one to help my wife, but I knew the spirit would use SOMEONE. Never would've thought it would be my MIL.

Not trying to start a Christian vs nonChristian debate but you seem certain that the spirit is responsible for this. Curious how you account for those of us whose minds are free from WT doctrine yet remain non-theistic in belief. Is the spirit at work there or is that just chance? Or possibly just our own minds slowly opening up to see the man behind the curtain?

How do I distinguish the difference between a person who finally submits to reason versus someone who is moved by the spirit (or, in the case of your wife, who listened to someone ELSE who was moved by the spirit)?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Is the spirit at work there or is that just chance? Or possibly just our own minds slowly opening up to see the man behind the curtain?

Hey Cheeze! I'm glad to talk to you again. I was an idiot before when I left. Sorry bout that. I try not to take things so personally anymore. It's been going a whole lot better that way.

Anyway, people that lose faith and come out of the organization wouldn't neccesarily be those that were called out by the Holy Spirit.

According to Eph 1:4-6 - "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."

So there are those that do see the man behind the curtain in the organization and come out. But there are also those that are drawn out by God to serve Him.

Some may come out of the Watchtower and become agnostic or atheist, and will eventually be drawn by the Spirit. Some are drawn by the Spirit directly from the organization. I am hoping my MIL is one of those. I hope she doesn't lose her faith in this process. But that is beyond my control.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Hey Cheeze! I'm glad to talk to you again. I was an idiot before when I left. Sorry bout that. I try not to take things so personally anymore. It's been going a whole lot better that way.

Water under the bridge, Dan. Religious belief and disbelief are touchy subjects (to say the least) and we're all human. It's nearly impossible not to get worked up about these things. Regardless, it's good to talk to you, too.

Please work with me here, though: How does one tell the difference between those who come out of the organization on their own and those who are drawn out by spirit?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit