This blew me away"The distant between Egypt and the promise land"

by jam 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This reminds me of another thread about the little girl who gave someone a tract, and he ended up going to the convention. But by the time the story got told at the convention, the guy had gone even when his boss wouldn't give him the time off, and he brought a bunch of other people with him too. Maybe these are the equivalent of our modern urban legends, they may have had a kernel of truth, but got embellished as time went on.

• humbled
    humbled

That is the way I have seen a story grow, too.

• Satanus
    Satanus

40 yrs to travel 250 miles? Only in the bible.

S

• Black Man
    Black Man

Great thread!!

• jam
    jam

Rereading old post last nite and it kept me awake, something Undercover

said. Of course I don't believe exodus took place but just to show how crazy

this story is.

undercover "they had already made it to the promised land in relatively short time."

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Exodus 16:1 ,15 days second month(45 days) after they departed from Egypt, no

food. Exodus 16:35 They ate manna for 40 years until they reach the border of

the land of Canaan. Exodus 17:1, no water. Do I have the correct understanding here,

this is where God became upset and told them you may see the promise land but many will

not enter. If my understanding is correct, they wandered for 40 years without the curse.

Exodus 17 water from the rock. Verse 7 and because they tempted the Lord.

So my point the water from the rock took place at the border of the land of Canaan, so

for 40 years they could see no blindness by Jehovah.

• Comatose
    Comatose

This was a great thread! Just what I needed. Been having an off or down day. Perfect fix. Loved this.

My favorite problem with the whole "Israelites in the desert" story (apologies in advance for those who find this crude):

In Exodus it says they had to walk outside the camp every time they had to take a dump.

Imagine how big a camp 3 million people must have made.

Assuming 100 square feet for every person (really really cramped) that is still something like 10 or 11 square miles.

Assuming they camped in a perfect circle, the diameter would have been about 3.5 miles.

Imagine you're one of the unlucky ones who has his tent right smack in the middle of that circle.

Every time you've got to take a dump you've got a 40 minute hike - each way.

Ever tried to walk 40 minutes when you really really REALLY have to go?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The story of the Jews leaving Egypt led by Moses is borrowed from earlier Ethiopic (i.e. Cushite Egypt) stories.

Never happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit