This blew me away"The distant between Egypt and the promise land"

by jam 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82
    What is the number of 3,000,000 escapees from Egypt based on?

The census taken just after they left counted 600,000 Israelite males. Add in women & children plus the "vast mixed company" of fmilies who left with them, and a number in the millions is virtually certain. 2 or 3 million is the number the WTS uses when it refers to theis bunch.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I heard that this so called trip never even happened but was based on some story of the Macabees.

PS: I have no idea what I just said. Never researched anything.

• james_woods
    james_woods

And the WTBTS still says the records of the exodus were destroyed from Egyptian history because they were embarrassed about the whole thing?

• Lore
    Lore
    What is the number of 3,000,000 escapees from Egypt based on?

I'm sure exactly where the 3,000,000 comes from. But according to Genesis 12:37-38 there were "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children"

And that number does not include any non israelites.

So if you figure 600,000 adult MEN. You can probably assume about 600,000 adult Women.

And since most families tried their best to have as many children as possible, you might be able to assume about 2 children per adult male. (I'm pulling numbers out of the air here fyi.)

So by my crappy calculations you got 600,000 men, 600,000 women, and 1,200,000 children. And that does not include the non israelites who came with them, which are just called a 'mixed multitude'.

Some people in an effort to explain the absurdly large number away make the claim that this scripture actually meant 600,000 FAMILIES, thus negating those extra women and children and bringing the number down from several million to several hundred thousand.

But as was stated, there is NO evidence outside the bible that this even happened so we have nothing to go on to get accurate numbers that what is included in the bible itself.
    We can't, for example, find a pile of human feces in the desert that indicates a camp of 3,000,000 people slept there for a night, because no such pile of feces has ever been found.

• Lore
    Lore
    And the WTBTS still says the records of the exodus were destroyed from Egyptian history because they were embarrassed about the whole thing?

Actually I don't think they've said a single thing about this topic for decades. It's easier to pretend the problem doesn't exist.

But I'm guessing the Egyptians also destroyed the evidence that they lost all their firstborns, their entire military force, all their livestock, their king and his heir, their crops, the entire workforce and basis for their economy, a good portion of their population to thirst and disease and had their gold "stripped" from them by their slaves.

And they recovered SO quickly, that those silly historians are under the false impression that Egypt was in the middle of one of it's most prosperous dynasties at the time.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The Exodus - Myth

Creation - Myth

Global Flood - Myth

Bible - Myth

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    And they recovered SO quickly, that those silly historians are under the false impression that Egypt was in the middle of one of it's most prosperous dynasties at the time.

That's nothing compared to the total devastation and depopulation of Egypt for 40 years that had to have occurred in the middle of Amasis' reign.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Somehow, I am not much encouraged in the factuality of this account when the same source claims people lived over 900 years not too long before this event.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

" some say there were over 2-3 million mixed multitude, A line would have formed 150 miles long leaving Egypt. "

Does that include the flocks, and herds and camels that they had with them?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Numbers not Zathras' skill.

I can imagine the believers have some answer for the missing feces that somehow relates to the miraculous humiliation of Pharoah as the Egyptians' revered dung beetles all departed the land with the Israelites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit