• jam
    jam

I was reading A article about A national acclaim Charles Lummis for

his poetry. In 1884, while working at a newspaper in Ohio, he was offered

a reporting job at the Los Angeles Times. He deciced to make the 3500-mile

journey to L.A. and it took 143 days to do it. OK you know where I am

going with this.. Moses was over 80 years old when he guided the

Israelites out of Egypt, some say there were over 2-3 million mixed

multitude, A line would have formed 150 miles long leaving Egypt.

For some reason I thought the distant between Egypt to the promise

land was over 2000 miles. I was wrong it was, between 220-250 miles.

Hell from that distant Moses and the multitude could have seen the

Promise land and soon as they left Egypt. Moses as the leader could have

enter the gates of Canaan and at the same time as others was still leaving

Egypt. I know someone will state they were made blind by God, Ok..They

were not only blind but stupid (DULLNESS OF THE MIND).

• bohm
    bohm

its also interesting how archeologists are able to find the flimsy remains of small hamlets and camps from the same time.

but 1 million jews in a friggin' dessert?

nope!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Hmmm, several million people in a relatively small desert for 40 years. Considering the dry climate, one would think archeologists would have come across a fair bit of dehydrated and petrified shit by now.

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Actually, if you carefully follow the narrative in Exodus and Numbers, virtually nothing is related regarding those 40 years. The first year of wandering is described in exquisite detail and then it skips ahead to the last year, which again is described with much detail. Nothing is related at all of the time in between. They are merely encamped in the Wilderness of Zin, i.e. within the territory of Edom. One easily gains an impression that a narrative of a sojourn lasting about two years has been artificially expanded into 40 years.

• sir82
    sir82

My favorite problem with the whole "Israelites in the desert" story (apologies in advance for those who find this crude):

In Exodus it says they had to walk outside the camp every time they had to take a dump.

Imagine how big a camp 3 million people must have made.

Assuming 100 square feet for every person (really really cramped) that is still something like 10 or 11 square miles.

Assuming they camped in a perfect circle, the diameter would have been about 3.5 miles.

Imagine you're one of the unlucky ones who has his tent right smack in the middle of that circle.

Every time you've got to take a dump you've got a 40 minute hike - each way.

Ever tried to walk 40 minutes when you really really REALLY have to go?

• freetosee
  • james_woods
    james_woods

What is the number of 3,000,000 escapees from Egypt based on?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well another thing is evident when you read in between the lines of the exodus and wilderness narratives: Although the narratives purportedly involve all twelve tribes of Israel, with huge numbers of Israelites from the combined total of tribes, when you look at the characters and participants of the narratives, they are all almost entirely Levites. The other tribes are supposedly there but really play little role in the story. For other reasons discussed in earlier threads in this forum, I suspect that the story of the exodus was originally a Levite tale that was incorporated into the national epic and became universalized as involving all the tribes of Israel when originally it was the story of only one group.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    and became universalized as involving all the tribes of Israel when originally it was the story of only one group.

IF it was even one group -

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Seems to be based on Exodus 12:37 with the assumption of 3 children per couple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit