Who cares about Jesus?

by brotherdan 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• laverite
    laverite

Leavingwt wrote- "If you'd like to see a group of JWs get scared looks on their faces, start talking about Jesus to them."

This is so true!!!!! Jesus is just not a focal point at all, and there's a certain, palpable discomfort when Jesus is mentioned just a little too much (as in more than once in a very blue moon).

Leolaia - You could most surely pull it off! I haven't ever done a content analysis research project of any kind, but I'm sure I could do this type of basic project following standard info in research methods texts. There's gotta be some cool social science and humanities software programs for CA research but I'm not familiar with any of them. I'd love to see the results, but I'm not jazzed up quite enough about the topic to take it on.

Any chance you would do such a project, Leo? I'm really interested to know what the results would be. I can imagine a graph (year by year or decade by decade???) charting this.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Who cares about Jesus?

1 Peter 2:4-10 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Living Stone and a Chosen People

4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
    a chosen and precious cornerstone,
    and the one who trusts in him
    will never be put to shame.”

7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone,”

8 and,

“A stone that causes people to stumble
    and a rock that makes them fall.”

They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Jesus is precious to me, the Rock on which I stand.

For JWs He is the rock on which the stumble and fall. They disobey the message of the Gospel, the good news which is Jesus Christ.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

"If you'd like to see a group of JWs get scared looks on their faces, start talking about Jesus to them."

Indeed. Reminds me of this thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/187699/1/Jesus-is-Lord-Every-hear-a-JW-say-that

Blessings in the Lord,

Stephen

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I enjoy the wonder of a Christian religion with so little to do with Jesus.

On the other hand, "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" (Billy Idol).

;-)

• Joliette
    Joliette

Brother Dan, very good thread.

Me and mom got into a discussion, and I told her that you need to make sure that you mention Jesus if your gonna mention Jehovah. She got really upset, and said that we do talk about Jesus. I'm like, well, JW'S (the Watchtower) knows that they have to talk about him to have the title of christian but they DOWNPLAY Jesus, and his purpose. But, of course, I'm wrong.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Oh, and another thing:

The wachtower accuses christendom of phasing Jehovah God out? Its really confusing since I'm still trying to understand what the trinity is all about? And since I've been taught that the trinity is false, its all really confusing.

• Stealth
    Stealth

If you'd like to see a group of JWs get scared looks on their faces, start talking about Jesus to them.

As I began my exit from WT world, but still commented at meetings, there was a period of about 6 months that I decided that I would only make comments at the meetings if it was related to Jesus in some way.

By the end of the 6 months, most of the JWs viewed me as some kind of Jesus Freak. This is an interesting experiment those who still attend might want to try. It freaks them out, but what can they say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit