Call me paranoid, but its possible that this 30 hour initiative is a weeding out process....a cull if you will...

by miseryloveselders 64 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

We've discussed a few potential reasons why the WT is promoting April 2011 as a month of special activity. Reasons include manipulating statistics, and trying to provide some kind of spark to increasingly apathetic and discouraged congregations. I'm sure there are others I'm missing too, feel free to include those. Yesterday, after an incident at the KH, I'm wondering if there's another motive. I'll tell ya what happened.

As some of you know, I've been a little ill this month. Had a couple bugs going on, and I'm starting to get back on my feet again. I was looking forward to attending the meeting on Sunday as I hadn't been there in a while. I enjoyed my time there for the most part as it was good to see old friends, children running and playing, and people generally in a good mood. It's hard to be cranky around a group of people smiling and enjoying one another's company. After the meeting, I had to pass out KMs, and magazines to those in my group. It was also our turn to clean and secure the building. So I hung around after the meeting a little longer than I typically do. I was leaning against a wall right outside of the library, and one of the pioneers approached me. She's a little eccentric, but a genuinely nice lady. Her husband is an elder, and he has some significant health problems. I wonder at times when we'll get the phone call that he's passed. I don't know him that well, but he's nice guy, and I'll miss him when that happens. She's significantly younger than him, and considering their age difference, and his health problems, its difficult for him to keep up with her. She's a dynamic woman, a go-getter, quite vibrant and full of life. As a result, he's often lonely, and its not uncommon for him to call certain folks in the middle of day, only to call them later on that evening just to talk about nothing in general. Note to self, don't marry someone a couple decades younger than you because eventually, you will get old and she just might not want to play nurse.

Well yesterday after the meeting, she approached me and asked how I was, and I responded in kind. Then she comes closer to me, and inquires as to whether or not I'm going to auxilliary pioneer in April? This question kinda caught me off guard, as I wasn't really expecting anyone to ask me this. In hindsight, I should have expected this question, because despite my own personal cynical and apathetic nature, this is actually a big deal for some. Well, I responded to her, "I really don't know at this time." She responded, "WHAT?!?!?" Then she grabbed my suit jacket with both of her hands for emphasis, and said, "you better do it!!! What do you mean you don't know! You have to do it! I tell you what, you have until Tuesday to make your decision!" At that point, I'm somewhat embarrased, yet its rare that I lose my sense of humor, so I responded, "Can it wait until two Tuesdays from now for my decision?" She eased up on my jacket, and said, "alright, I'll let you have two weeks from now!" I knew this conversation wasn't quite over yet, so I embraced for what was coming next, my interrogation. She goes, "So do you work everyday?" "Yes." "Typically 9-5?" "Typically I get off a little later." "My husband and I can work with you every evening for an hour or so after you get off work." "Wow, that would be nice, but I have to think about it. I've got a lot on my plate right now, and April is too far away for me to make that decision at this time." At that point, my knight in shining armour arrived, "Misery, can you give me a hand counting the money in the boxes?" "I'd be glad to!"

Don't get me wrong about this sister, she's eccentric, but she has a good heart on her. I wasn't exactly forthcoming with her regarding my hesitation to commit on saying yes to auxillary pioneering in April. The real reason why I couldn't tell her that I hadn't reached a decision yet, had nothing to do with too much on my plate. To be completely honest with you, I actually had made my decision as to whether or not I would pioneer during the month of April. My decision was actually, no, I'm not going to do it. I have no intention on pioneering during that month or any other month in the near or distant future. The reason being goes back to what I mentioned at the outset of this post, apathy and discouragement. The general public in our territories are extremely apathetic and its worn off on me and others in the congregation to the point that I find field service discouraging. If I'm already averaging anywhere from 15-20 hours a month, and accomplishing absolutely zilch, why would I want to spend an additional 15-30 hours extra accomplishing "double zilch?"

That leads me to what I feel is a possible ulterior motive behind this 30 hour initiative. Its no secret on this message board that this organization has mastered the art of subtle peer pressure. Kids, and teenagers get baptized often enough not because they've really dedicated themselves to Jehovah, but because their families and congregations are looking at them funny because they're yet to get dipped. Young brothers reach out for privileges not because they want to do more, but because its whats expected of them. I can testify to that from my own personal experiences. This 30 hour initiative is in the same vein as the aforementioned. This pioneer that approached me and was agasped that I hadn't made up my mind yet, did exactly what this organization expects of the truly indoctrinated. In her mind she was encouraging me, in my mind however, she was pressuring me. I'm in a position where I don't really have to answer to anyone, with the exception of the CO, and those in my field service group. So her actions don't bother me too much, and besides she was being playful. She means well and I love her.

However I fear for others who will find themselves in the same predicament in other congregations across the States. They're going to be asked whether or not they're going to pioneer during the month of April. Depending on their answer, they may get viewed poorly by others in the congregation. Whether this is intentional or not is debateable, but make no mistake about it, this has the potential to be a massive congregational "marking" inititiative. A distinction will be made between those who appreciate the Slave's provisions and arrangements, and those like myself, who do not. Maybe I'm looking too far into this, I don't know. What do you think?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

More importantly, you've learned that this sister has her eyes on you as a potential husband #2 in this wicked system of things.

• gutted
    gutted

Yeah I think you're looking too much into this as far as some kind of marking inititiative. This is the same ol' story of being pressured (I mean "encouraged") to aux pioneer during the memorial. I am just so damn glad I'm inactive and don't have to deal with any of that pressure, whether from others or from myself. To be honest, I put great pressure on myself in that regard, because deep down I hated the service (my territory was super appathetic too) and would have a ton of guilt if someone mentioned it.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Isn't there a scripture that you can use to shut her up? I mean you are a brother after all, how dare a sister counsel you! The presumptuousness on her part!

• mamalove
    mamalove

I think that pioneers are BORED. They are so bored seeing the other regular pub's faces every day, sitting in the car, getting rain and snow and crumbs all over the place, they want some fresh meat! That was her deal. She likes you. She wants some variety.

The whole 30 hour thing is IMO just about getting the "friends" out in the ministry more for the memorial, it gives them a topic to focus on, the weather is getting nicer then, and people are more happy, and more likely to do it. Then they feel proud of themselves. I think it is more of a morale booster than anything else.

People that don't join in will def be looked down upon. That was really out of line for her to ask about your work situation though! Pioneers can be pushy. Hell anyone can be pushy.

If you get questioned again, just say, no, I am not going to be doing it, and change the subject on something they will like to talk about.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Misery..

She`s going to put Rat Poison in her Hubbys Oatmeal and come after you..

Cause..

"Your a Hunk of Burning Love" ..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xDhGl5VuSL8/St3-FyyDhsI/AAAAAAAADBM/wmFH4iYCnJw/S1600-R/love.jpg

Your the only one she wants..

To share her Bucket of Chicken with..

................ ...OUTLAW

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I think that pioneers are BORED. They are so bored seeing the other regular pub's faces every day, sitting in the car, getting rain and snow and crumbs all over the place, they want some fresh meat! That was her deal.

Right on MamaLove! I remember pioneering and it wasn't so bad on Saturdays, but through the week, and particularly on Wednesday afternoons, I was always stuck with the same ol' boring people. The really good pioneers who I would have rather worked with already had arrangements to go on Bible studies. These were usually sisters, so they usually wouldn't have me go with them. It was always nice to spend the time in FS with someone new, and someone you liked.

• pirata
    pirata

I think it is reading a bit too much into things, but I had the exact same thought as you! One JW asked me if I was going to aux. pioneer in April, so I quoted the scripture in the letter and said that I will do as I have resolved in my heart, not under compulsion. I got a funny look from that. It's possible that some are going to see me as having a bad attitude or stubborn for not pioneering in April when it's "so easy".

A lot of brothers and sisters in my hall are happy, "how loving is the faithful slave, now I too can pioneer". The thing is you can always put in 30+ hours in the field ministry, you just don't have that label of achievement attached to it.

I think the real intention is a pilot project to see if the total results (hours/placements) from more 30+ hr aux pioneers exceed the results from 50+ hr aux pioneers. If succesfull, I wouldn't be suprised to see it become permanent.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

That is a measure meant to squeeze more hours per publisher. Like any other such measure, it's enhanced by the peer pressure. Typical GB logic.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I really think its just a trial ballon. If they get more hours overall by lowering the requirement from 50 to 30, then it will go in place probably Sept 2011 (start of new service year).

I do imagine that the lower requirement will put even more pressure on the elders/ms and their families to aux pioneer for April.

As for her comment, I agree with the others that she probably likes you and figures having you out a little more will give her a chance to work with you.

I've been places where those that didn't aux pio during April were always sort of looked down on. Nothing new there. And most certainly the CO will ask who took advantage of this "loving provision" on the servant body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit