What is the source of this photo?

by possible-san 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There have been fakes. There was a photo of Rutherford and liquor bottles discussed here recently that is clearly photoshopped, both in terms of context and in image properties (very obvious blurring and seam lines when the gamma is increased). I don't see problems as obvious as that photo here, but it does need to be provenanced.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Just for the record, that photo does NOT appear in the November 1st 1924 Watchtower Reprints.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Nic - Thanks for clarifying.

I was not sure. Merely posted what I found in my quick search.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Looks possible the photo originated with former Bethelite Paul Blizard. Does anyone have contact with him to ask about provenance? Randy maybe?

Also does anyone have access to Jerry Bergman's bibliographic resource? I am curious if Blizard has self-published or previously published works that might have also included the photo in print.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That is a screenshot I did from an online newspaper archive.

All I can tell you is that it's from 1940. When I first posted it, I posted the link, but I have searched JWN for the post and not found it.

I haven't given up yet

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

The picture of the group sharing a beer was recently introduced to, then deleted from, the Wikipedia article on Rutherford. The source photo is on Wikimedia's database here, but sadly without detail of its origin.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I read in Barbara's Story on her site that she had found a picture of Rutherford in a swimsuit. He was romping on a large patio overlooking the ocean, others were laying in chaise lounges. The picture she said showed a closeup of Rutherfords face and he had his tongue sticking out as far as he could and he looked inebriated.

Her stories are amazing. I couldn't stop reading until I was finished.

Snoozy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

San Jose News August 1, 1940, page 7 (The link takes you to page 11)

• moshe
    moshe

Check out the style of hat the young lady is wearing. It appears to be a style from the 1920's flapper era, but it might have lasted well into the 1930's. The gent on the left has an unusual side trim haircut. The beer glasses look like English pub glasses filled with Stout - Rutherford could openly have a snootful in England during USA prohibition era, couldn't he?

• shamus100
    shamus100

They're just having a beer - nothing wrong with that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit