My First Post on JWN- Hello!

by Philadelphia Ponos 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Google "Ponos"....there's a clue. Not that we needed one, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponos

• foodalls
    foodalls

Welcome Ponos....but PLEASE don't return to that organization!....They are having very serious problems at the world Headquarters right now and will not last till the end of this year!..and i know this for FACT...A very important "Event" is about to by announced "Worldwide" before the end of this year that will shut down ALL religion..so don't waste your time with comeback.

• C6H12O6
    C6H12O6

I'm just throwing this out there, but since you live in Philadelphia and I don't know what language you're looking for.

On google there's some language clubs in Philadelphia. For instance, there's a Japanese Language Conversation Club. They're free of admission and they welcome beginners, experts, etc. Here's their faceboook pages for more info:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=157350194312523 - Feb. 1

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=168884756488154 - Feb. 17

You might find native speakers at their events and celebrations. For example, I found Japanese speakers at the Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival, which was in Fairmount Park btw.

Another option is to scope out international students or immigrants at CCP, Temple, Uni. of Penn, or some other college. There's some students who studied abroad. I met a girl who studied abroad in France and Sweden. One of my friends came from South Korea to study at a university here.

There's always the library. If your library stocks foreign language books, then there's a good chance that you might meet some people who speak that language. You might even find foreign language instruction CD's and books. The Northeast Regional Library has pretty wide selection. I've seen Albanian, Arabic, Swahili, etc.

So don't just see the WT organization as your only option.

• sherah
    sherah

Welcome!

IA with everyone that has said there are better alternatives to converse regularly with native speaker. Check out, meetup dot com for groups in various languages that get together regularly. Also, there are language institutes and cultural associations within the city that put on regular events and outings for lingual immersion.

As a male, it's hard to fade from a foreign language congregation. Those circuits are desperate for men. Once you show up, you're officially on the radar.

• Listener
    Listener

Foodalls don't you think learning another language may be helpful or do the aliens only speak english?

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

I hear what you guys are saying about going to clubs, meeting foreigners, or talking to people online to converse with native speakers but the only problem with that is unlike JWs they won't accept me as being one of them. They will see me as a foreigner as oppose to JWs who will see me as being one of their own. Which will make it a lot easier for me to make 'friends'.

• satinka
    satinka

Some things you just have to experience for yourself!

Maybe its a bet...

Any elder lurking here is going to be wary of a newcomer... But do keep us posted.

satinka

• satinka
    satinka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponos

ah, he's a god who will convert all the JWs to him and he will be known as Jepono!

satinka

• yknot
    yknot

Okay.......kewl

I get your reasons....

We will be moving to the 'Bearing' book the week of March 14th so that would be a good time to return.

You will have to pick up the new songbook from the lit counter but KMs are posted on this site each month until then ...

Since you are keeping mum on language, consider www.jw.org for WTs in that language along with audio format for added linguistic reinforcement.

Please make a point to report back to us your findings in the foreign language congo......

I look forward to your other thoughts on other threads!

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Welcome!! I went back a couple months ago... (I'm 25 as well but married to non JW and I'm DFed) I found out I was pregnant and that about the time I quit.

They have a new song book, and only two meetings (which is nice in my opinion but then it's kinda hard not to miss even one!)

The meetings with the study book is merged with the Ministeral School and KM descussion. Eh it seems so fast, defaintly feel left out if you don't study our lesson.

Any who You might be suprised to come here... it is filled with tons of information, opinions, facts, etc.

But I understand to a degree people have their reasons to make the best in their life weither it be as a JW or not... Best wishes to you. Hope you will find help and encouragement to do the right thing for you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit