Hello everyone! I'll give some background information before I introduce myself. I faded from the organization three and a half years ago. I have no family members who are JWs and haven't thought about this religion at all over the past three and half years. The reason why I decided to join this site now is because I'll be returning to the organization this spring and I need to get up to date on all the JW lingo and new rules. Some info about me is that I'm a 25 year old single male who lives in Philadelphia,PA. I never pioneered or served at bethel like a lot of people on here, I actually stopped believing a lot of the JW doctrine shortly after I was baptized. I know your wondering if I don't believe JWs have the truth and I don't have any family members who are JWs why am I returning. It's a long story and I'll cover that in a future thread as I draw closer to the time of my return.
My First Post on JWN- Hello!
It's a long story and I'll cover that in a future thread as I draw closer to the time of my return.
Just give us the gist. No need to be coy.
We're not here to help you return but read the forum and learn the tactics they use to control and manipulate , then decide what's right for you
ps... welcome ;)
I need to get up to date on all the JW lingo and new rules.
Same old same old really... One thing that's new (apart from the new secret Elders book) is the 'overlapping generation'. Another change to the Generation Doctrine. It never ends....
The Watchtower (Study Edition), April 15th, 2010 Issue, Pages 27-29:
"This magazine has long been used by “the faithful and discreet slave” as the primary channel for dispensing increased light. ... What does this explanation mean to us? Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37."
and i too wonder
WHY? really, do tell!
haven't thought about this religion at all over the past three and half years.
Hard to believe. Not even ONCE?
why am I returning
My guess it's a girl.
Welcome to JWN. Look around. Read Blondies weekly series: Comments you will NOT hear at the Watchtower Study. That will at least catch you up on the Sunday meetings.
-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)
No Aude it has nothing to do with a girl. I can't think of a way to explain it now without revealing too much information about myself because these are very unique circumstances. Let's just say I'll be rejoining the organization for about a year so I can develop a skill that isn't available to me in the secular world.
Hi Ponos! Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll have a great time here.
I'm from Philly too, and I'm in the process of fading since last year and going to leave.
In the 3.5 years you were gone, some changes were made like...
- - new song books were issued, some songs were taken out and some new ones were put in which sounded like...
- - no more book studies at homes, instead it's combined with the theocratic ministry school and service meeting
- - literature is delivered from Bethel to the Assembly Hall where it can be picked up by congregations
- - there's a public watchtower and a private watchtower, the public is for field service and the private watchtower is studied at the Sunday meetings and can be obtained at the hall or online: http://www.jw.org/
- - public talks on sundays are now down to 30 min., the watchtower study is still 1 hr.
- - there's magazine day which is the 1st Saturday of the month, where everyone meets at the Kingdom Hall for field service
but just to let you know, they still...
- - hound you to go out to field service
- - hound you to spend more time in field service
- - hound you to go to meetings
- - do those tract campaigns about the memorial and district conventions
- - have the same old methods of preaching: door to door, phone, letter writing, and informal
- - have nepotism
- - believe that the end can come any minute
Well this is all I can think of at 2 in the morning, so I suggest you read more posts on this site for more updates on the WT.
Other than that, I'm looking forward to your story.
The only good reason for someone like you to return would be if someone was going to give you several million dollars in exchange.