Is It okay for a Christian to join the military?

by AiAi 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AiAi
    AiAi

I recently enlisted in the Army as active duty, havnt left yet, and am wondering if it is concientiously okay to do this as a christian? keep in mind there is a good chance i will see combat. I have already made my decision but am interested to hear others views

• blondie
    blondie

For Jehovah's witnesses it is not allowed but they say it is the individual's CHOICE. But they are viewed as having disassociated themselves from the WT organization and will be shunned by all jw family and friends and other jws if they find out.

As to Christians, I don't know. Some say yes, others no.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Christians have killed thousands of infidels and thousands of other Christians during the history. Of course it's ok to be both a Christian and a soldier. In fact, I think it's a "must"!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

If you believe in the Bible it is not forbidden. Notice the account of Cornelius in Acts 10:36-48. He was an ACTIVE army officer for the Romans. He was baptized WHILE serving. He was not required to quite before his baptism. There are no scriptures forbidding the serving in the military.

• AiAi
    AiAi

Blondie you are right of course, I wonder now if i should have gone through the trouble of DAing myself since I ended up joining the military later anyways...

DagothUr I think your logic is foolproof lol

Brotherdan, that was the account that had the biggest part in my ignoring my old JW mindset and deciding it was ok

• Chalam
    Chalam

IMHO, yes.

Romans 13:1-7 (New International Version, ©2010)

Submission to Governing Authorities

1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

If you are a Christian called to serve in the army and wield a "sword" then do so. If you are called to serve as a tax collector then Godspeed :)

Colossians 3:23-24 (New International Version, ©2010)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• tec
    tec

I don't personally think so. I wouldn't want to be subject to a commander whose motives or call might be right or wrong, or cruel or unjust or without mercy. I wouldn't want to kill anyone period, but beyond that... are we sure the wars we're fighting are good or just, or that we're even right, or that we didn't have a hand in starting the problem to begin with? I know there is no command - you must not go to war, but how can you follow 'bless, forgive, and love' your enemy by killing him on the battlefield - or bombing him and innocents caught in the cross-fire?

Again, these are my own thoughts, based on my understanding and love for Christ. But whatever you choose to do has to be between you and God/ and your conscience will hopefully help bear witness to whatever decision you make (or made). But if you have chosen to follow Christ, then I personally think the question becomes - what would Christ do, or think of what you are doing?

Stephen - per your example, what if the army you were being told to submit to and serve was the nazi regime or some modern version of that? Would your answer still be the same?

Tammy

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

In my personal opinion I think no, because the primary purpose in the military is to kill.

But, on the other side being a police officer is okay. An officer does not murder anyone. Murder is pre-medidated and planned. No officer wakes up and says I'm going to kill someone today.But in the life in the military it's all you plan to do.

While an officer can go his whole carrer without firing at anyone. And even if he kills someone its killing them before they kill you or someone else.

However the miltary when not in combat is perfect for helping people in disasters.

sorry if i'm ranting on. lol

-sharpie

• tec
    tec
    However the miltary when not in combat is perfect for helping people in disasters

Yes, this absolutely, and commendable!

Tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Here's my take on whether it is okay for a Christian to do anything:

Pray for God to send a clear sign that your personal choices are not right.
    If there is no answer, stick with your personal choices.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit