Is It okay for a Christian to join the military?

by AiAi 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It would depend on the INTENTION of joing the military no?

WHile I am certainly the last one to critique a person for joing the military, I am not sure what I would do TODAY.

I would probably, if I was enlisting, go for the medical corps, if I could get in.

If I couldn't I would try for "search and rescue" or evacs.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

I was DAed for going into the Military. I nevered submitted a letter, but a anouncement was made just before I entered the service.

• AiAi
    AiAi

PSacramento I totally agree about intentions. If, forinstance, someone was threatening to kill everyone in you nation and set foot on your soil I think most would have no problem with that. But if your country is a modern-day Nazi Germany trying to conquer the world most would have a problem. As too the specific job because I have a family I tried to choose one with less of a chance of combat but there is a reason everyone is given a gun...

So far no one has mentioned seperateness from the world. I have never heard that view explained in a way that makes any sense or doesnt involve an incredable amount of reading things into the scriptures that just arent there.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    So far no one has mentioned seperateness from the world. I have never heard that view explained in a way that makes any sense or doesnt involve an incredable amount of reading things into the scriptures that just arent there.

This subject is more than a little embarrassing for a JW to explain strictly from the scriptures. The bible clearly mentions soldiers and the military and simply says nothing about specifically prohibiting christians from being soldiers, or for soldiers to not become christians.

The "separate from the world" can mean whatever someone wants to say it does, but it is a real stretch to morph this into a prohibition of military service. After all, everybody lives in the world, has jobs in the world, and so on. If the bible had been so definate about not being a soldier, it looks to me like it would have clearly said so.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

This is one of those issues that is really up to each person to decide. The beauty of Christian freedom is that we get to do that. It all has to do with conscience.

For example, if I thought that it was wrong, but allowed my own thinking or other outside pressue to motivate me to join the military, then it would be wrong for me to do. But if I did not think that it was wrong in any way, then it would not be a sin. Paul talks extensively about this issue in 1Cor 8. He gives the example of those whose conscience allows them to eat food that had previously been sacrificed to idols. They were not to be judged for this. But if they were to cause someone else to eat of this meat and that person was bothered by the act, then it would be a sin.

The best answer to this thread is: You need to be convicted of your choice as to why or why not join the military, and then pray for God's blessing.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    So far no one has mentioned seperateness from the world.

That is because no such connection to the military was made in the Bible. Like I previously brought out, Cornelius was baptized as a Christian WHILE he was a military commander. If being in the military was prohibited, he would have had to resign first and then get baptized.

• tec
    tec
    They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Stephen, don't you think this contradicts the command from Christ NOT to judge? Where did he tell us that we could punish a wrongdoer? I think He taught the opposite.

Tammy

• AiAi
    AiAi
    If the bible had been so definate about not being a soldier, it looks to me like it would have clearly said so.

james_woods you bring up a good point that I think covers many different subjects that people make into big issues, eg JWs and birthdays

brotherdan Paul's words were so instrumental in helping me finally break free from the borg. His point there makes so much sense and can be applied to help one with any problem in life. It is (almost) surprising the witnesses never picked up on it.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Stephen, don't you think this contradicts the command from Christ NOT to judge? Where did he tell us that we could punish a wrongdoer? I think He taught the opposite

Every scripture in balance and perspective! See these for example where we are clearly instructed to judge.

1 Corinthians 5:12 (New International Version, ©2010)

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

1 Corinthians 6:1-3 (New International Version, ©2010)

1 If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

If only the heathen are to be in authority or tax collectors wouldn't that be strange?

Certainly considering the Lord clearly showed people from both professions to be true believers!

The Lord does not change Hebrews 13:8 Malachi 3:6

Sure, prostitutes who come to faith need to get a new profession 1 Corinthians 6:15 as do thieves Ephesians 4:28

However, taxes collectors and other governing authorities are God ordained and I believe God would have His people involved in both.

God is not just a hippy, looking for peace and love at any price. He rules with justice and authority also!

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• tec
    tec
    If only the heathen are to be in authority or tax collectors wouldn't that be strange?

Perhaps, but I didn't say that they couldn't be either of those things. Just that they shouldn't be corrupt if they do, nor join if it requires them to cheat others.

However, taxes collectors and other governing authorities are God ordained and I believe God would have His people involved in both.

This may be, but it isn't necessarily so. If a governing authority asks someone to do something that is directly against something Christ taught (or that is against the law, according to man's laws) then I think we both agree that we are not to do it. Christ didn't tell anyone not to pay taxes. He seemed pretty casual that the taxes were not something that TRULY mattered.

God is not just a hippy, looking for peace and love at any price. He rules with justice and authority also!

Yes, but the same cannot always be said about OUR leaders. In fact, I think it can rarely ever be said - though intentions might have been good.

Stephen, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Paul was either mistaken, or we are mistaken about his context when it comes to judging. Christ said do not judge, and to forgive. I don't know how 'do not judge' gets reconciled with 'judge'. Paul says in the same book, even before this quote, to judge nothing before the appointed time, and that he did not even judge himself.

So there is a conflict there.

Actually, re-reading both verses and their context - it seems Paul was in a state of damage control in the first, when he tells them to judge trivial matters between themselves, for he also goes on to say that the fact that they have lawsuits between themselves shows that they have been completely defeated already. Better to be wronged, or to have been cheated... and applied with Christ's teachings, better to forgive those wrongs, because they also went on (as do we all) to do wrong to others.

Again, peace to you,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit