Is It okay for a Christian to join the military?

by AiAi 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Stephen - per your example, what if the army you were being told to submit to and serve was the nazi regime or some modern version of that? Would your answer still be the same?

No.

Would you have submitted to Hitler as a civilian?

I think the following teaching provides some very good points on such matters

http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/trial/submission-to-ungodly-authority

Back to those authorities who wield the "sword" and the tax collectors mentioned in Romans 13, can only unbelievers be in such employ, even though they are these authorities are clearly "established by God"? Is the authority of the sword inherently wrong or God ordained? Likewise, is taxation Godly?

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• tec
    tec
    Would you have submitted to Hitler as a civilian?

I certainly hope not.

But my point is that you don't join an army or fight a war just because your nation orders it. We are called to put Christ first, aren't we?

I don't think there is anything wrong or ungodly with paying taxes, or in being a tax collector - since we all use the services that those taxes are supposed to be going toward. So unless a person is being cheated to pay more than what is just or fair, or a tax collector is doing the cheating themselves, then pay them without complaint. And if we are cheated, then it is we who are being wronged... not we who are doing the wrong. And if you call yourself a Christian, then perhaps you should reconsider putting yourself in a position that requires you to cheat others, or cover up for those who are cheating others.

Is the authority of the sword

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you speak of the "authority of the 'sword' ".

Peace to you also, Stephen,

Tammy

• AiAi
    AiAi

OTWO your advice is very good. Ive tried it before, only problem is my wife doesnt believe god is telling me to do things. its okay shes just ignorant :p

To respond to the nazi argument, you have to remember at that time hitler had the churches support and socially the political systems of the other countries were considered evil (damn capitalism). Also the soldiers were never officially looked on as bad individually unless they committed war crimes.

I think everyone should support their respective country as much as they can (so long as that country is America)

• tec
    tec
    so long as that country is America

That was tongue in cheek right? (sorry to even ask, but I think some people seriously believe that)

Tammy

• designs
    designs

I have marched with and supported this group seeking, among other goals, a Federal Cabinet level postion seeking peaceful means in our national and international dialogues.

www.thepeacealliance.org

But hey I was always a Hippie/John Muir/Thoreau kind of guy........just got distracted for 45 years by the Watchtower Society

• AiAi
  • tec
    tec

• Chalam
    Chalam

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you speak of the "authority of the 'sword' ".

Romans 13:4 (New International Version, ©2010)

4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

If you check the original Greek you will see the word is indeed "sword" as the NIV 2010 and others translate.

http://biblos.com/romans/13-4.htm

Not many of those in our authorities carry swords these days but we have our modern equivalents.

Some see the verse adds weight to the case for capital punishment.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

To respond to the nazi argument, you have to remember at that time hitler had the churches support

Possibly, but not the support of the Church.

Genesis 12:1-3 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Call of Abram

1 The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

2 “I will make you into a great nation,
    and I will bless you;
    I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing.
    3 I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
    and all peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you.”

Romans 10:1 (New International Version, ©2010)

1 Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.

Blessings in Christ (a Jew of the tribe of Judah),

Stephen

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Glad this topic was mentioned had a form asking or actually wondering this...

Chalam again thanks for mentioning the scriptures.

Here's where I made my comment on the topic...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/204870/1/Elpiro-or-any-Sincere-comments-welcome-by-an-active-JW-regarding-their-beleifs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit