Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

by scotsman 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

and the disaster that follows

What disaster? Even Gervais says the U.S. version is superior in many ways. I know that's sacrilege and all, but...

I don't understand why people feel like it's an either/or. They're different shows. They needn't always be weighed against each other. It was always intended to be loosely-based, not a carbon copy. I'm beginning to think the national sport of England is Dunder-Mifflin hating. ;)

Also: Matt LeBlanc? Really? I'm sorry.

I was surprised to find out that he really suffered from life long depression.

The best comics usually do.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Americans just discovered Ricky Gervais is not funny? I could have told them that. The Office has got to be the most overrated sitcom of all time.

Having said that he was actually not that bad on that award thing.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

This thread is making me want to wave the ol' Union Jack around lol....

Loz x

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

He was just taking cheap shots at people as a vehicle of humor.

I could't believe he did the one on Mel Gibson and the Jews, that happened 3 years ago and it was quite old.

Lets face it, he tried to do what other comedians have done in the past, but it came off wrong and distasteful.

It sure wasn't the way to endear himself with people that he might have to work with in the future.

In a matter of fact his performance might have spoiled his career, at least in the States.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

In a matter of fact his performance might have spoiled his career, at least in the States.

The only people flipping out over it are some media critics trying to stir up criticism. The feedback on message boards and from celebrities themselves has been overwhelmingly positive. The comparatively few viewers who are being critical aren't in his target audience anyway. And the ratings were way up over last year (which he also hosted), indicating people like him and want to see more of him. It's a manufactured scandal.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Ricky Gervais was awesome! The only holes he punctured were in the self-satisfied, egotistical, botoxed, coiffured prigs sitting in the audience.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Oh p*ss off thetrueone. Most of those who he was parodying thoroughly deserve it, Charlie Sheen and Hugh Hefner especially....two biggest prize *ssholes in tinseltown. Absolutely hilarious.

A breath of fresh air!

ps - Robin Williams is one of the most vulgar stand-ups you will ever hear.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

It's pretty simple, his sense of humour is british - not american. Our senses of humour are not the same, as a stereotype british is sarcastic and dry - americans like fart noises and people who yell and fall over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit