Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

by scotsman 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I think he's great ... I love the show Extras (as well as the UK Office)

• thetrueone
  • cofty
    cofty
    Wouldn't I have egg on my face if RG's career took off to unseen heights.

He has won a multitude of awards and honours, including seven BAFTA Awards, two British Comedy Awards, two Emmy Awards, one Golden Globe Award, the 2006 Rose d'Or, as well as a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination. What heights do you have in mind?

• scotsman
    scotsman
    What heights do you have in mind?

One of the 144,000?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ricky is funny, he just isn't THAT funny.

I liked most of his stuff during the GG, but I have to be honest, he should stick to the comedy he does best, his schtick about the bible is really weak.

Shows more his lack of knoweldge and undersatnding than anything else, then again for what I hear about this "latest" schtick is that he saw an opportunity to expand his comedy ( a willing audience) and he took it.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Gervais is definitely an acquired taste. Yes, he can be very funny at times and is often on the mark. But he can also come off as being full of himself and smarter than his audience. That's why he turns off so many people - besides being unintelligible at times with his British accent. I played back a video of one of his comedy shows and there were at least eight times when I simply could not make out what the final punch line was - even when I put on my stereo headset and turned up the volume.

George Carlin could be nasty and totally over the top at times, but his message was clear and to the point. I used to cringe at the number of strong curse words he'd use at times, often just tossing them completely out of context, but that was (I think) because he saw himself as the logical successor to Lenny Bruce.

JV

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

The Office (not the dreadful American remake) was one of the best comedy shows ever.

Wow, it took a whole seven posts to get to the tired U.S. Office pot-shot that's obligatory in any Internet discussion of Gervais or the show! I'm impressed. ;)

In any case: Ricky Gervais is the single most underutilized person in Hollywood. We don't deserve talent like that in America if we don't appreciate it like we should.

He's no Robin Williams.

And we're all better for it.

• cofty
    cofty

We actually have a new sitcom called "Episodes" starring Matt LeBlanc, based on the story of a successful UK sitcom being bought by a US producer and the disaster that follows. It is obviously based on the Office" debacle.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

He's, definitely, no Rodney Dangerfield! Rodney always put himself down. I was surprised to find out that he really suffered from life long depression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZAIO7q9v8

• undercover
    undercover

An edgy comic not afraid to ruffle some feathers and scuff some toes is what these boring, self-congratulatory award shows need. I liked RG's hosting. Made it more interesting and funny to watch, what I did watch of it.

Part of me wonders if because he's British that it caused more issues on American television. If Robin Williams or Jon Stewart, or even Steve Martin hosted the show and made some cracks would people have gotten as bent out of shape about it? It's okay that Jon Stewart or Steve Martin make fun, they're good ole 'Mericans. But that Limey bastard coming in here and making fun? "goddam fureners"

As for the debate as who's funnier...I think rating comics is tough. Everyone's funny bone is different. I loved George Carlin. My wife barely tolerated him. I do think when comics hit too close to the truth, it makes people uncomfortable. When they do that, they're getting through with their message. Whether it's exposing Tom Cruise as nuts because of Scientology or Sarah Palin because, well, she's Sarah Palin... when they hit a nerve, they've hit on something that is true, yet unpleasant to some people because they invested time and/or money on those people. The subjects get mad because they've been exposed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit