Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

by scotsman 37 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

I'm hardly the biggest fan but I thought this was genuinely funny. He held a mirror up to the overpaid botoxed schmucks and some of them found it funny. But I'm hearing there's a bit of a criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHXzP2SpLA

But then we're used to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-NmMWJ69Xk

• james_woods
    james_woods

I heard he pretty much piled onto Scientology - including Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

• Open mind
    Open mind

His closing quip was witty:

"I'd like to thank God for making me an atheist."

om

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think his presenting style of comedy on this award show was overtly abrasive and apathetically abusive.

Drawing some forced uncomfortable strained laughter.

I like comedians taking shots on celebrities like movie stars because they get overly glorified by the media

as they are portrayed as extra special people, when they are simply not.

But Gervis went over the line in the amount he spewed out.

It was like he exploited the opportunity upon himself to thrash other people who are also in show business.

I don't think Ricky would like to be picked on and exposed of past personal problems either.

Its just a kind of comedy which is just weak, which follows true to my own personal opinion as Gervis as a comedian. .....weak

• sd-7
    sd-7

I'll just stick with Ricky Gervais as the bad guy on that episode of 'Alias'. Classic episode.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Gervis might have just put a few holes into his own personal career now.

Which has its own irony attached.

• cofty
    cofty

Shame you don't get Ricky Gervais trueone, personally I think he's a comic genius. The Office (not the dreadful American remake) was one of the best comedy shows ever.

"Also not nominated I Love You Phillip Morris. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous Scientologist… My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke"

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

You can take someone bashing about of other peoples talents and it might become acceptable coming

from someone who has something extraordinarily better , but Gervis doesn't possess those qualities personally himself.

To create laughter from other people's problems is just weak and unskilled.

If he really was well talented himself he wouldn't have to resort in doing so.

I think Gerivs's own self perceived ego overwhelmed himself.

You can best expect that he Will become the target of jokes and reticule by other people in show business now.

• cofty
    cofty
    Gervis doesn't possess those qualities personally himself.

How much of his work have you seen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woMkklc-Ueg

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

He's no Robin Williams

Ridiculing the logic of the bible may have potential for creating humor but again its been done before by

other comedians like George Carlin and others and probably done better.

Like I said before truly good and talented comedians have the capability to present their humor in their own comedic way,

mostly through their own personality and character. R Gervis reminds of a just an ordinary guy using somewhat humorous material to build an act on,

essentially nothing special.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit