*Seriously* Considering A Billboard Ad?

by laverite 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Scott77
    Scott77

Please, how about : Jehovah's Witnesses Prophesed the End of the World To Come In 1975. Its Now Past 35 Years Later.

Or

Human Blood Transfusion is Life Saving. Its not Animal Blood. Please, donate

Or

Shunning family members for a religious reason is anti-social behavour and Unchristian

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi

Please, call ACLU here for free legal advice.

ACLU of OHIO : Max Wohl Civil Liberties Center : 4506 Chester Avenue : Cleveland, OH 44103

P (216) 472-2200 F (216) 472-2210 E [email protected]

Good luck

Scott77

• dgp
    dgp

Well, the image of the Brazilian billboard is no longer here.

• song19
    song19

Sometime ago I thought that contacting a prominent figure like Oprah to share the story of ex-jws being shunned would be a good idea. When I saw your billboard idea it got me thinking, why not put stories in our local newspapers... generate community awareness of what really goes on in the WTS with all our stories. Everyone could participate and who knows... maybe someone will notice the global attempt to bring some light on the dark subject.

Just my thoughts.... hope to see a billboard outside my parent’s window....

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello song19,

I don't think Oprah will do anything on this because she is good buddies with John Travolta

if she sheds the light on one cult she would have to shine the light on his also.

both religions practice shunning, I could be wrong but that's just my opinion

I use to think she was a champion for human rights, but I guess if her friends are

involved, it becomes a different story

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Sounds like a great idea.

Billboards would at the very least cause the Witness rumour mill to spin in warp drive.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing

Shunning people for their religion is evil

• TJ Curioso
  • dgp
    dgp

The billboards in the images posted by Tj Curioso both read what I had posted before:

Jehovah's witnesses sentence their former members to social and family death.

"Mom, if you won't go back to Jehovah, I won't be able to talk to you anymore".

"Clara, for as long as you don't go back to Jehovah, I can't be your friend anymore".

"Carlos, our marriage ends if you don't come back into our religion"

Applause to the Office of the Public Prosecutor for denouncing this hate crime.

International Movement of Former Jehovah's Witnesses

January 21st, National Day Against Religious Intolerance.

The ad with the baianas (the women in white gowns) also has some people with signs which read:

Jehovah's witnesses don't respect human rights - Article 16.

Religious discrimination is also a crime! Article...

• dgp
    dgp

I was reading older posts and came across one that I wish I had found much earlier, when I first came to this site as a non-witness looking for information. The thread is here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/26619/1/Why-do-Jehovahs-Witnesses-lie-to-recruits

Reborn 2002 used to conclude his posts with this:

It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.
    WT 11/15/1963 page 688 paragraph 3

Beyond this being an excellent thing to post on a billboard, I think it has a direct relationship with the feeling shared by many, that billboards would make witnesses feel they are being persecuted.

Since I am not a witness, I see this billboard thing with different eyes. To be honest, I am more concerned with people NOT joining than with people leaving the cult. The reason is not so much that I don't care about those inside. The reason is, I realize that many will resist leaving tooth and nail. I think an information campaign would be more effective with those who don't yet have the blinders on. And I am thinking of the many countries where Internet access is not so widespread and English is not the language. Someone proselytizing could ask a non-witness not to check the internet, on the grounds that it's full of apostate material. Yes, it is, but apostate material is true. And these people could be prevented from checking the internet maybe, where they would find a lot less information in their native tongues than is available in English anyways, but they could not be prevented from reading a billboard.

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

I agree with Barbara... the billboard should target non-jws driving by with a short to-the-point message. The message should be non-offending to jws as to not drive those on the sidelines deeper into the cult.

I really liked the suggestion posted earlier that said something like "Did you know that JWs have a do-not call list?..." Then direct them to a web site.

How about opening a site called stopknocking.com where a repository of phone numbers and addresses to contact (local KHs and Bethels) can be provided depending on where you live?

How about writing down a few ideas and putting it to a vote on this board?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit