In your hall, how many converted to a JW from door to door in the last 10 years?

by just n from bethel 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

I spent a few minutes thinking about this, and I simply cannot think of a single true D2D convert in the approximately 20 years that I was a JW.

Every single new convert that I was aware of starting coming to the meetings because they met a JW casually or associated with their work.

The door to door work is a colossal failure if you measure it in terms of making new witnesses.

• moshe
    moshe
    The door to door work is a colossal failure

The JWs still call it a life saving work! I remember talking to two elderly JW sisters a few years ago in the winter- they should have been home instead of out in the frigid air, but they were happy to be doing Jah's work- or so they claimed. The D2D work has claimed the lives of a lot of JWs- like car wrecks, and pedestrian accidents.

• wannabefree
  • Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Me, I was converted through d2d. I only brought in 2 people but both were friends prior to me becoming JW.

• zoiks
    zoiks

I think 3, and I am responsible for 2 of them .

But, to add to your point, my congregation was known for its "pioneer spirit". Just about EVERYONE was a high-average publisher or a pioneer at least part of the year. Sure, we'd get a study or two at the meeting and make a big deal about it, but that was a rare occasion. Even the couple that I studied with had studied years ago, prior to my knock at their door. There really were no fresh faces unless someone moved into the territory. So much effort, so much time, so much gas.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Don't feel bad zoiks. I did my fair share of converting as well.I just figure that as news gets out that I'm not a JW it'll make my true friends call me - or at least stop and think.

But I look back to when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s and remember my parents always having studies and them getting baptized - and many directly from the D2D. What happened?

Seriously - let's say you're a publisher in my old hall with a territory of 20,000+ but cong members well under 100. You have several long-time elder pioneers, who have taught pioneer school - but yet in the last decade none of them have been able to convert 1 single person from the territory. I mean they can't even convert the crazy unibomber guy that they've been placing magazines with for 15+ years. How do the rest of the publishers feel? If multiple 20+ year pioneer elders can't convert one single person - how the hell can others be expected to do better?

I love it when the CO comes and says something like "there's been a 1/2 % increase in magazine placements - so that's very commendable. Activity is up by 2% and you had 1 more than last year sign up for aux pioneering. This really shows Jehovah is blessing your spirit."

Here's how it should've gone "I'm the 4th CO you guys have had since the last time a new person from the territory got baptized. Are the tract campaigns not working? They've had great results in your sister Spanish congregation. Really we're at a loss. Mother WT Org has given you incredible tools - really pointed tracts - a bible study offerring day - but nothing seems to be able to reach the hearts of your diverse territory. Oh well - don't be discouraged. Take comfort knowing that it's like that in all your fellow English congregations. Let's give thanks to Jah that he keeps the growth growing through all those humble immigrants."

Yep - life as a pioneer is definitely fruitless labor. It reminds me of that scene in cool hand luke where they keep asking him to dig a hole and refill it. Nothing gets done really - but the sheep learn to obey - and that's what it's all about (just like the hokey pokey song).

• Found Sheep
  • doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Times have changed so much. No longer is it acceptable to just approach someone's home and expect a welcome listening ear. How many door to door salespeople are there still? Sheesh, even the telephone sales people are getting the hint, our homes are private and we choose who figuratively comes into it.

There is much more power in what someone does in their day to day interaction, rather than what they say/preach. People observe and are curious if someone appears contented with their beliefs and lifestyle e.g. relatives workmates, so they ask why?

That is why the witnesses are failing

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

In my ex-congo...between 10 and 15 people. I was one of them.

• Terry
    Terry

Never lose sight of the fact of exactly WHAT is being offered at the door!

If you read Watchtower writing for years it begins to "normalize" inside your head when you read it.

But, if you stop reading it altogether for a long time and one day pick it up and TRY TO READ IT----it is obviously UNREADABLE!!

We just got use to it!

A first-time reader should be stopped cold by the convoluted double speak!

Meat in due season or just plain manure?

The results speak for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit