Can you recommend some movies/videos?

by OnTheWayOut 43 Replies latest jw friends

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

OTWO .....

"Case 39" with Renee Zellwigger (sp?) Awesome! Rent it even without the others. It's a New Release.

"Devil" - New Release ... setting 5 people are stuck in an elevator. One of them is the Devil. Awesome ...

Both of these movies will make the whiskers on your face stand straight up. They are not the least bit cheesy as some thrillers are. Trust me, I gasped out loud during "Case 39" and my wife will tell you I have a pretty high tolerance and am not easily shaken. It made me realize I still have some belief left in me. If you believe in the one, you have to believe in the other. Bwahahahahaaaa................

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The Sea Inside (Spanish: Mar adentro ) is a 2004 film by the Spanishdirector Alejandro Amenábar . It is based on the real-life story of Ramón Sampedro (played by Javier Bardem), a Spanish ship mechanic left quadriplegic after a diving accident. Sampedro fought a 29-year campaign in support of euthanasia and his right to end his own life. He was not able to get the court to rule in his favor, but he did end his life (after drinking potassium cyanide).

Storyline

Life story of Spaniard Ramón Sampedro, who fought a 29-year campaign to win the right to end his life with dignity. Film explores Ramón's relationships with two women: Julia, a lawyer who supports his cause, and Rosa, a local woman who wants to convince him that life is worth living. Through the gift of his love, these two women are inspired to accomplish things they never previously thought possible. Despite his wish to die, Ramón taught everyone he encountered the meaning, value and preciousness of life. Though he could not move himself, he had an uncanny ability to move others.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Smart ass answer: Photo Drama of Creation

On-post answer: All episodes of "Mr. Deity" from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzf8q9QHfhI

om

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Just watched "Sunshine" (2007). Definitely recommended.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Went to see The Tourist on friday nite.....Great Movie

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

A good series of movies for any good JW to watch is 'Saw' I thru VI LOL

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I won't recommend they sit and watch "Saw" or "Devil" for reasons that will divide us, keep 'em coming.

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

Get a nice PC, hook it up to a big screen and watch Ancient Aliens on the History Channel or web page... you will have discussions about this one for months to come... I think they are up to chapter 20... try to see it in order.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Here are some good movies for EX-JWs:

Big Fish
    This movie is about a man that is at the tail end of his life and is dying at a hospital. The majority of the movie is about his life as a young man (Ewan McGregor) in the form of flash backs. The reason this is a good movie for EX-JW's is because the main character likes to embellish his past life and would always tell his son stories of his past but with a Tale Tale spin on them. His son resents the fact that his dad has been lying to him for so long... great movie with a nice fantasy spin.

Office Space
    Great movie for EX-JWs; it depicts the monotony of the cubical life as the main character breaks the bonds of the miserable drudgery of his dead end job. As EX-JWs we can especially understand the main character's pain and his conquest; all time classic comedy as well.

Unforgiven
    This movie tells us what it means to take a life. It shows us how precious human life is in any form, even what we refer to as evil. One of the greatest movies of all time in my opinion.

Pulp Fiction
    This movie bleeds with potential for discussion after it is done. It's essentially a movie about the intricacies of the criminal underground. It shows us the people that go about their lives as criminals and killers. The potential for moral and ethical discussion is exponential; also one of the greatest movies of all time.

WALL-E
    This movie follows the life of the last lifeform on earth after humans leave because they turned the Earth into a garbage dump. The last lifeform is a robot designed to clean up anything that needs cleaning. It is the last surviving robot on the planet when a more advanced "survey" robot (named Eve) comes to check whether Earth is ready for reinhabitation. This is a gold mine for the EX-JW because one of it's main themes is transcending original designation and creating a unique life for ones self. It also touches the concept of human technology vs laziness.

The Big Labowski
    I would recommend this movie to EX-JWs because of it's very real dipiction of the "Lazy Stoner." The main character's name is The Dude and his life is a lesson on individuality and playing to your strengths. The two main characters (Jeff Bridges and John Goodman) swear like sailors and play by their own rules as they get caught up in some crimal activity. I like the swearing in this movie because, as Witnesses, we are always told that swearing is very wrong, especially when done "every other word." But what's funny is halfway into the movie the swearing is just what these guys do, it's not just the screen play writing it's the actual personalities of the characters. It helps EX-JWs understand a certain culture that the Watchtower misrepresented.

There are a whole lot more, I just can't think of them.

-Sab

• KristiKay
    KristiKay

"The Invention of Lying" it's a lighthearted movie, and it has an interesting take on why religion started in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit