Can you recommend some movies/videos?

by OnTheWayOut 43 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

An ex-JW meetup group I attended just watchted WORLDS APART together and the host wants to do this type of thing more often.
    I would love to see RELIGULOUS, but the group would be divided on such a movie.

I suggested the documentary, JESUS CAMP and SEPTEMBER DAWN.

Do you have any suggestions I can pass along?

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

What is the purpose of showing these videos? Are you trying to show all religious belief in a negative light? Are you trying to find correlations to JW mindset?

I think "September Dawn" is interesting as a comparison to JW's..."Jesus Camp" is a bit on the fringe since it does not reflect mainstream evangelicals...kind of like saying Westboro Baptist Church is representative of Christianity.

I loved Robert Duvall in "The Apostle"...a great study of the struggle with faith and human weakness. A couple of other interesting movies that an ex-JW could relate to are "The Truman Show", "The Crucible", animated version of "Animal Farm", "Elmer Gantry"...to name a few. I realize these are more entertainment than documentary, but they definitely touch on how high control can affect thinking.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    What is the purpose of showing these videos?

Just to meet and discuss them. Purposes vary. We did go to see 2012 last year so we could see something similar to WT Armageddon and laugh at it.

Religion in a positive light is not out of the realm of possibility, but I personally don't know of any stuff that would have some correlation to ex-JW's as much as "religion in a negative light" would have. I am open to your suggestions.

• bohm
    bohm

life of brian.

• Scott77
    Scott77

1. Hurt Locker

2. Invictus

3. Crazy

4. Avator

5. Most Dangerous Man

6. Kafka is a mystery thriller 1991

7. Darius Gray and Margaret Blair Young : groundbreaking documentary, "Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons."
    8. The film, "The Senators' Bargain,"
    9. Chariot of Fire: Exposes leaders to win win model
    10. One Day In September, award winning documentary

• Scott77
    Scott77

OTWO,

Sorry, my list is not religious except # 7. Excuse me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey OTWO..

Wanna Freak them out?..

Rent "Hostel"..

They won`t sleep for a week..

................... ...OUTLAW

• laverite
    laverite

Outlaw, you are so not helpful on this one. But you make me laugh my *** off.

OTWO, I could recommend some good Superhero movies....

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Deliver Us from Evil- Be warned though! It's about the Catholic sex abuse scandals and will break your heart.

Lord, Save Us from Your Followers- I love this one! Here's the blurb: In the spirit of wondering why we all can't just get along, filmmaker Dan Merchant takes to the streets to ask average folks about religious faith and why it seems to be such a divisive force in America's so-called "culture wars." In addition to man-on-the-street perspectives, the thought-provoking (and refreshingly civil) conversation includes input from activists on both sides of the ideological spectrum.

Waiting for Armageddon- I haven't seen this yet, but it's got good reviews.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

What about alternate reality movies?

The Truman Show.

The Village.

The Matrix.

Pleasantville.

The Island.

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest