My Marriage Ending...Or Other Options

by doinmypart 42 Replies latest social relationships

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

I don't usually post regarding my personal relationship, but I need some help.

I've been married for 20+ years (married young, both of us raised as Witnesses), and my wife and I have kids. My wife feels like I've disappointed her, made a fool of her, and betrayed her when I stopped being a Witness. Other than the Witness-thing we seem to have a pretty good marriage, but she can't get over the fact that I'm never going to be a Witness again. The fights over religion are bad, and everyone is hurting.

I don't know what to do. I want a relationship, but I'm so tired of the drama. I can't do this anymore...I want out. She says I'm being selfish. I don't want to be a selfish husband/father...I've seen that in my other male relatives. I tell her I love her and I try to show it, but if I'm not doing the Witness-thing then I'm not doing the thing she wants most. She doesn't ask for a lot.

I just do not know what to do. I wish I could figure this out. I wish I could make her see.

Please help...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

but if I'm not doing the Witness-thing then I'm not doing the thing she wants most. She doesn't ask for a lot.

She is asking for your very soul.

Sending you a pm.

purps

• mamalove
    mamalove

I am sorry. I know how hard it is. (going through a divorce here). There is more to a marriage than the religion. What does your wife want? Is she ever happy? Do you guys have a connection, like to do things together? Do you still like to hold her, and kiss her and her the same to you?

What about counseling? If you did seperate, what kind of life would you guys have? How do you want the kids raised? Lots of things to consider. If you want to talk, feel free to PM me. Hang in there.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

What helped us in similar situation was that we agreed on writing letters to eachother explaining the viewpoints and reasoning behind our differing decisions. It was much easier to do it in written format as you really could put everything there, correcting and rephrasing before delivering. Doing the same in oral confrontation would just have been that, a confrontation, where neither me or her could have had possibility to say everything.

We could in then following discussions agree to disagree, but not let this go over our marriage.

What she, and also my wife initially, is really asking is you to continue to "believe", not because your love to Jehovah but to her. When my wife understood that this was her actual request, she understood to drop it.

Be strong, you must be able to protect your own happiness in first place, then you are also capable protecting your family's happiness too. If you accept doing things that are against your conscious you will sooner or later find yourself in same situation with bigger wounds to heel. But on the other side remember to equally respect her decision in this matter and do your outmost to support here in following that path. But it really do not need to mean that you must go against your personal principles.

CP

• sd-7
    sd-7

As someone who is experiencing something quite similar, but with a much younger and probably crappier marriage, I can understand. I think what you need is to find a way to come to terms with the organization itself. Priority One is to separate your wife from the organization, to understand that she's just a part of it and is not responsible for its evils.

You've had a long time together. If your marriage was just fine before this, I think you should seriously take it slowly and not be quick to separate. It's your choice, but I don't know her personality so I can't really say. If this is her every thought, it could be a major nightmare for you, in which case it might be much tougher to stay with her. Still, I'm not big on divorce.

Actually, you should just read my story, then PM me and tell me if your story sucks more. I'll bet it doesn't, but I may be wrong. By all logic, my marriage should not have survived even this long, under the circumstances. And it almost didn't. But we've kept working on it and it's at least salvageable if not perfectly afloat yet.

I'd need to know how you found out about the Society's 'man behind the curtain' stuff, how it was presented to your wife, if at all, and whether or not you're still in or if you've been expelled or what. Everything, in my experience, tends to radiate from that moment. If there are major issues associated with it, they come out on the table in that moment.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide. As the Chinese restaurant workers in "The Simpsons" once said regarding fortune cookies, "Open up the 'Stick With Your Wife' barrel."

--sd-7

• undercover
    undercover
    My wife feels like I've disappointed her, made a fool of her, and betrayed her when I stopped being a Witness. Other than the Witness-thing we seem to have a pretty good marriage, but she can't get over the fact that I'm never going to be a Witness again.

I could have written that some time ago... it pretty well covers where I've been.

Fortunately for me, the longer I'm out, the more "out" she becomes. She's becoming apostate by osmosis...and by association. Oh, if push comes to shove, she will defend the organization and fall back to the arguments of how I'm the one who "lied", "betrayed" or "deceived". But as long as religion isn't an issue our marriage is good. Actually, I can say it has gotten better. In every other facet, we have grown closer together...until...the subject of JWs or religion in general comes up.

I share this to show that it can be worked around, in time and if you can slowly free them from some allegience to the WTS. Problem is, not everyone is easily pulled away from the WT-think and WT-act. Each person reacts differently to this kind of situation.

She says I'm being selfish. I don't want to be a selfish husband/father...I've seen that in my other male relatives. I tell her I love her and I try to show it, but if I'm not doing the Witness-thing then I'm not doing the thing she wants most

Off the cuff I'd have to retort the same to her... "you're being selfish. You want me to be something I'm not...or can't be. You want me to be what you want, not who I am." Of course, when it comes to JWism, they'll fall back on the "You were a JW when we met...we were gonna live forever together". That's when you try to reason with them...through WT publications even, that it's not wrong to question. And if your questions led you to no longer believe, then it's only logical that you're going to change. But the more indocrinated they are, the less they'll listen.

For me, I had to show through actions, over time, quite a bit of time actually, that my leaving the JWs behind did not mean that I was leaving her behind. I said the words, but they weren't listened to. But over time I did show that I was still dedicated to wife, family, home. Over that time, she has become less dogmatic and less active and less believing even. I haven't freed her mind to the extent that I want, but I have gained a wife who is starting to put me ahead of Jehovah and the WTS.

The worst case scenerio is that she will always choose Jehovah/the WTS over you. She may be more married to them than you. If it comes down to that and the pain and anquish continues, you may have to face a hard decision on what you want to do from here on. The best case scenerio is that over more time you can show your love and dedication to her through actions and she'll soften up to the point that JWism becomes the 800lb gorilla in the room. It's always there, but as long as he sits in the corner and happily eats his bananas everyone leaves him alone everone gets along fine. Just leave his bananas be. Mess with them and you're gonna have trouble. Is it the perfect set-up? No...but no marriage is. If it become tolerable enough you can find happiness throughout the rest. If it becomes intolerable, you have to what you have to do to find peace for everyone involved.

I'm no therapist, no expert. So don't take my words as professional advice. I'm just someone who's been there and survived. I can only share what I was able to do and hope that it gives you some help somehow.

Good luck...

• flipper
    flipper

DOINMYPART- I'm sorry you folks are going through these hard times. Been there , done that with my former marriages. I highly advise you and her to seek marriage counseling from a licensed Marriage Counselor to help you work on the differences and problems in your marriage. Give it a chance to work, and after that , then make an informed decision based on how you both apply the counsel. Hang in there, I know it's tough guy. Our positive thoughts will be with you

• blondie
    blondie

Aren't there any sisters with unbelieving husbands? How do they treat their husbands? Are they like Abigail was towards her husband Nabal? Did Timothy's mother leave her Greek husband? Was she respectful? I know this sounds like the WT but that is what she says makes her superior in her beliefs. It is not enough to believe, you must act in harmony with your beliefs.

I think women who have a jw husband can be spoiled rotten and babies at times and have no understanding what effort and caring it takes to make a marriage work where they have a difference in religious beliefs.

If she is truly the Christian woman she claims to be, perhaps it is time to analyze her actions.

I don't know your wife, but I do know jw women...her behavior does not seem to indicate she follows the WTS teachings for wives.

Love, Blondie

Added: Your report of her words seems like she is more concerned about herself, her betrayal, her being made a fool....no concern about God or Jesus.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

She's becoming apostate by osmosis

Classic.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    She is asking for your very soul.

Profoundly Purps.

(marking to read later)

-Aude.

Share this

Google+