Congresswoman Shot in Tucson

by leavingwt 442 Replies latest social current

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Americans get it: It's just a horrible coincidence

There's still no evidence that the political culture had anything to do with Jared Loughner's rampage

By Steve Kornacki

CBS News is out with a new poll today that finds Americans strongly rejecting the notion that the political climate played a role in Saturday's attempted assassination of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Fifty-seven percent of respondents say that the nation's "harsh political tone" didn't have anything to do with the shooting rampage, compared with 32 percent who say it did play a role. Not surprisingly, Republicans are more unified in denying any linkage (a 69 to 19 percent margin), but even a plurality of Democrats -- 49 percent -- agree that there was no connection. Among independents, the spread is 56 to 33.

This is somewhat heartening, given that so many commentators on the left -- including, I must say, some of mycolleagues here -- have since Saturday been playing up the extreme rhetoric that Sarah Palin and other Tea Party favorites have spouted these past few years, claiming that it all somehow created a climate conducive to Jared Loughner's shooting rampage.

As I wrote on Sunday night, I find this to be a very slippery argument. We know that no connection between Loughner and Tea Party politics has been established, and what we have learned about him strongly suggests that he lacked a recognizable political identity. He looks to be a deranged young man and it's unclear if he was even aware of the political debate/conversation that the rest of us follow every day. There's just no evidence of any connection between Loughner and Palin, the Tea Party and conservative movement.

Thus, the "climate of violence" argument feels to me like a backdoor way for some on the left to attach blame to Palin and the Tea Party anyway. I might be more sympathetic to it if someone could explain how, precisely, it worked in this case: What specific evidence is there that the "climate" was relevant to Loughner's thinking? When was the moment that the tone set by Palin and the Tea Party kicked in and turned his obsession with grammar, literacy and "currency" into something lethal? Where's the evidence that he was even aware of the "climate" in the same way that those of us who watch cable news and read blogs all day are? All I've heard so far is evidence-free, non-quantifiable speculation.

Sure, it's easy to go back and pull together a list of every recent pronouncement from Palin and other conservative leaders that involved some kind of reference to guns or revolution or violence. Juxtaposed with coverage of the Giffords tragedy, this certainly looks damning: The same congresswoman whose district Palin's website once framed in cross hairs has now been shot in the head! But there's absolutely no proof that this is anything more than a horrible coincidence. Political scientist Brendan Nyhan put it best on his blog yesterday:

People have been having a hard time holding two ideas in their head at the same time:

1. What Paul Krugman calls "eliminationist rhetoric" is bad.

2. Contrary to his suggestion, there is no evidence that such rhetoric caused Saturday's events. Even if such evidence is later found, it would not justify the evidence-free claims that have been made in the last 48 hours.

If the CBS poll is accurate, most people aren't having trouble making this distinction -- even if plenty of commentators are.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Your caption is dishonest, NB. But you know that.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

still no explanation on why the right has not responded to union heads' actions against republican NJ governor?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Your caption is dishonest, NB. But you know that.

Well, is it dishonest to claim that Palin had anything to do with the Arizona Shootings???

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Dragging Sarah Palin into this shooting is weak game.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Well, is it dishonest to claim that Palin had anything to do with the Arizona Shootings???

I don't think anyone has suggested that Palin was involved in the shootings.

Having said that, it doesn't alter the fact that NB captioned his video with a lie - something Contessa Brewer never said.

• villabolo
    villabolo

james_woods: Well, is it dishonest to claim that Palin had anything to do with the Arizona Shootings???

What is dishonest is to keep asking questions when you never answer the ones that are inconvenient for you. YOU ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR HALF A DOZEN POLITICALLY INSPIRED DEATHS EXCLUDING LOUGHNER; THE MURDER OF IMMIGRANTS, ONE WITH A BLOODSTAINED COPY OF HIS IMMIGRATION PAPERS CLUTCHED IN HIS DEAD HANDS; AND COUNTLESS ACTS OF VANDALISM AND THREATS. YET YOU HAVE THE MORAL TORPITUDE TO WHINE LIKE GOVERNING BODY MEMBERS ABOUT HOW PERSECUTED YOU ARE WHEN SOMEBODY ANSWERS YOU BACK IN MINISCULE MEASURE.

IT IS POINTLESS TO TALK ABOUT ONE MORAL DEGENERATE LIKE SARAH PALIN WHEN BLOOD IS UPON ALL YOUR HEADS FOR PREVIOUS DEEDS THAT WERE INSPIRED BY WHAT YOU MORAL DEGENERATES USED TO REFER TO AS "ENTERTAINMENT" (REMEMBER THAT EXCUSE?).

Villabolo

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don't think anyone has suggested that Palin was involved in the shootings.

You have got to be kidding me.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If it had been a deranged person on the right, there would be no apologies. The salivary glands would have hardly been kept in check.

There is a double standard at play, but we already know that. It's when they start exploiting a heinous massacre for partisan purposes before emergency personnel can even arrive on the scene (and before anyone even knows any facts) that it becomes truly screwed up.

The LSM stepped in it big time.

You have got to be kidding me.

They are already making attempts to pivot, maybe they should have though of that this past weekend.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Who is this "you" killing immigrants that Villabobo is raving about? Not anyone here. Certainly not James Woods or yours truly. Stop paying attention to the voices in your head! You must have gotten too much hot sun on it when you were on that raft. Or did Castro turn you out of a manicomio in 1980? El chamaco se ha vuelto loco.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit