Did You Ever Fink On Another Witness?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

As elders, we used to give talks saying that IF you didn't "report" a wrongdoing or even a possible one, YOU were sinning. Heavy guilt trip.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

WT Doctrine: If a JW knows about a gross sin, but does not approach the guilty party or the elders about the matter, Jehovah will kill the person who didn't rat at Armageddon.

I don't know anyone who would want to enter Gehenna for sins that he or she didn't personally commit.

• minimus
    minimus

The only typical loyal ones were the teens in the Hall. They kept a code of silence.

• VIII
    VIII

I have thought about it-a lot.

That is why I'm on this board.

Now, these same self-righteous POS are liberal, abortion loving, atheists, as Ex-JWs. W-T-F?

Seriously, I am as liberal as the next Ex-JW, probably more than most. I've done more than my fair share of wild-living. However, I have never, ever deemed myself someone who would *tell on* someone else. For anything short of molestation, rape, murder, etc. Crimes, not morals. Make sense?

I've seen first hand the absolute horrific damage that DFing does to someone. My mom was thisclose to suicide while DFd.

When someone is willing to tell on someone for something like dancing to close or they *think* Brother X was tipsy at a wedding, I am just amazed that now they turn on the news and believe anything they hear. Amazed.

Telling on someone (for such minor infractions) to gain favor with the Elders or with Jehovah is so crazy it is beyond comprehension. I knew that when I was 15. I knew that. How can an adult not see that?

• chickpea
    chickpea

my eldest son, a UBP, once caught an elder smoking!!

this "zealous" man said to my then 16 YO son
    "no need to say anything about this, right?"

and my son, totally dedicated to leading a
    double life, told him "i dont give a shit what
    you do or dont do... the religion is bullshit"

i heard this story YEARS after the fact, and
    rejoiced that i have kids smarter than i was!

• The Finger
    The Finger

Guilt. Being raised with nothing but guilt isnt healthy.

Most people in the congregation gloss over there sins. Elder bodies are good at covering over their sins.

• VIII
    VIII

WT Doctrine: If a JW knows about a gross sin, but does not approach the guilty party or the elders about the matter, Jehovah will kill the person who didn't rat at Armageddon.

This just kills me.

A *Gross Sin*. They classify everything as a gross sin. Again, how could anyone with any clarity of mind, not see this as crazy?

Oh, I have an answer: CULT.

I know, I know, let it go.

I'm trying. Really.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Telling on someone (for such minor infractions) to gain favor with the Elders or with Jehovah is so crazy

What we have here is a failure to communicate, and it's probably my fault.

It was a requirement for salvation to report gross sins. The dogma further details how you're actually "helping" the person to get the help that he or she needs, by getting the loving Shepherds involved. The elders would grease these ones with oil and set matters straight.

I'm not defending the WT, I'm explaining the motivations involved.

To the loyal JW, "finking" was saving two lives: your own and the guilty person. To cover the matter over was a death sentence for both parties.

• minimus
    minimus

The same mentality occurs when family members stay away from a df'd relative. This way you can save him and yourself!

• The Finger
    The Finger

leavingwt

I agree with you but I have found that there is one rule for the publisher and another for the Elders and their friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit