Greetings to All, No Longer Lurking

by Franklin Massey 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Claustrophobic. That's the simplest way for me to express how I feel in the WT org. Like many here, my eyes were slowly opened over the years as I did more earnest research, trying to reconcile some long standing spiritual quandaries. In the beginning, I had no goals of proving the WT wrong. It happened naturally as I did what JWs are encouraged to do: test and see that these things are good. As my understanding of doctrinal issues and orgizational history became clearer, the less attached to the org I became. The less attached I became, the easier it was for me to question my long held beliefs. My journey has been equally enthralling and heartbreaking; but totally worth it. I don't know it all. I'm not angry. I'm just a human in search of truth. I'll go where real truth leads me.

I'm in the org deep and have no current manner of leaving, lest I cause a lot of damage to those I love the most in life. I'm dealing with the situation as positively as I can and have been able to use the Society's own tactics/materials (that JWs are supposed to use to convert non-believers) in an attempt to make others really consider what they think they know. I don't want to demolish anyone's belief system, especially if it provides them comfort and structure. Teachers of "truth" should be refreshing, uplifting, and invaluable; not dogmatic, oppressive, and unflinching. There are very few absolute truths in the realm of spirituality and metaphysics. Therefore, when I see that narrow-minded WT teachings are causing people to be confused, overwhelmed, burdened, unrefreshed, and unenlightened - I feel obligated to plant seeds that hopefully will take root somewhere down the line. So far, there have been small, incremental results.

I would love to see reform within the org; but I don't see it coming anytime soon. Rather the situation seems to be reverting to a more authoritarian/less Christ-like environment. I have been lurking here for almost two years. The recent KM school pushed me to finally become a forum member. There is strength in numbers. There is hope gained from hearing that you are not alone in your struggle. Many of the brothers and sisters have cautiously shared with me the same concerns that a lot of you voice on this forum every day. As you post, please remember that there are possibly thousands of curious, doubting, concerned friends who sneak onto to this website in search of something. Show them they are not alone. Show them they are not dependent on any man-made religious entity. Show them that love, goodness, and compassion exist an more places that they may have ever known. Don't scare them away. Give them a reason to return.

Here we go...

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

Welcome my journey out is simular to yours little doubts at first then they just came flooding in...

• nugget
    nugget

Thank you for sharing your viewpoint. Reform within the organisation is desperately needed but unlikely.The problem is that those in control are also desperately out of touch. They live in an enclosed world with everyone admiring them so it is little wonder that their policies revolve more around maintaining status quo. It is sad that with so many sincere followers out there they fail to be a force for good.

• onemore
    onemore

Welcome to the board.

As you post, please remember that there are possibly thousands of curious, doubting, concerned friends who sneak onto to this website in search of something. Show them they are not alone. Show them they are not dependent on any man-made religious entity. Show them that love, goodness, and compassion exist an more places that they may have ever known. Don't scare them away. Give them a reason to return.

These were wonderful words.

I’m also a former elder, and currently serving as an active member of the “conscious class” spreading the word about the truth about the “Truth”.

A reform was impossible 20 or 30 years ago, but times are different now. ”…a lot has changed. Lately I’ve been hopeful that with the right leadership from within (elders and publishers), I believe that we will witness (no pun intended…LOL) a major schism.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Onemore

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Welcome Franklin! You lurked for two years before posting! I was also a long time lurker. It feels great to finally post & say thankyou to all the people on this site whose comments helped us think.

I'm sure the thousands of lurkers out there would like it too.

Waves hi to all the lurkers in the concious class out there!

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Welcome Franklin,

I look forward to hearing some of your insights. The school really did a number on the elders. What are your thoughts about the new book?

Again its good to have you here.

SIAM

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Welcome Franklin! Thank you for your expressions and I hope to read about more of your experiences as an elder!

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Thank you for the warm greetings.

@zeroday: Exactly. Once my eyes and mind were opened by my own doing, on my own time, there was no way I could dismiss everything I was seeing and learning.

@ onemore: I guess I do fall into the category of "conscious class." For me, its not about proving people wrong. In fact, it has been more beneficial for me to just help people work through their questions/issues and come to a realization on their own. If I can guide them in these tiny little awakenings, I will. They add up. I made the mistake of emphatically broadcasting some of my "revelations" in the beginning and it just scared people and turned them off. My method now is one of patience, restraint, and more patience.

@stuckinamovement: The new book (which I saw online before I saw one on real life!) was not as big of a deal to me as some have made it. I can obviously see the tightening up taking place but the changes weren't that earth-shattering. I have to remind myself that the powers-that-be know they need to be careful not to make too many changes, of too large a size, too fast, for fear that there will be a mutiny. That's not to say that some brothers haven't mentioned certain aspects of the book that caught their eye. When they mention them, I ask, "Why do you think they made that change? How do you feel about it personally?" and then let them talk openly.

• mouthy
    mouthy

A very BIG welcome... Great to have you join us. I hope you wont loose your love ones as I did
    to the "substitute for Christ"as they call themselves.
    God be with you

• Think About It
    Think About It

Franklin.......welcome to the forum. Glad you joined and now consider your eyes opened. I'm a former elder, having left in 1995. Just too many problems that point to the WTS not being God's exclusive organization as promoted to us. Oh my....the WTS scandals I've learned about here. Many members here are still serving also, if that is best for you at the moment. Reform would be a wonderful thing for current JW's.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit