Please explain the deal with Smurfs

by not bitter 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

I never heard the rumors but it was announced from the platform at the DC that it was not true, there had never been a Smurf doll that moved on its own and the audience was cautioned not to spread the rumors any more. I never saw anything ever in the publications on it or heard about it in my circuit.

• blondie
    blondie

Smurf movie coming this year....more rumors to start????

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2LXy66ah8I

• donuthole
    donuthole

JW urban legends based on the idea that smurfs were demonic -

One followed the youtube video about the smurf jumping up during a meeting and saying "eff this .."

Another had smurfs coming alive and leaping off wallpaper or curtains and tormenting a young girl.

In the aftermath some JW's tried to burn smurfs which allegedly would not burn.

As a child during this time period I was absolutely terrified of smurfs and got rid of them.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I was told that some Smurfs had actually killed somebody. A sisters husband I think and she was going to prison unless she could prove the Smurfs did it. They evidently kept quiet about it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Smurf dolls wouldn't burn.

Well duh. Toys are made to be fire resistant so kids aren't getting killed all the time and parents aren't suing toymakers out of business all the time.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Only in the "no part of this world" ,where everything is demonic, fundamental religion of the Jehovah's Witnesses could such an outlandish urban legend even start.

Think About It

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

I had a smurf in the early 80's - no problems that I can recall. Some JW's are prone to some pretty ridiculous rumors. That said there are some pretty ridiculous ones on here as well....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The deal with Smurfs: an incredibly stupid jw urban myth that some folks I knew actually believed.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Smurphobia: the JW's unique little strain of 80's "Satanic Panic".

I'd heard all kinds of stories obout supposedly "demonic" records being hard to burn; whenver I heard them, I'd debunk them easily enough by telling the fearmonger "Dude, LPs are made of vinyl; all LPs are hard to burn, 'cause vinyl is hard to burn. A WT Kindom Melody LP would be just as hard to burn."

It was surprisingly effective in squelching the stoopid-rumor mill in my little corner of the world, I'm proud to say.

I was so glad when CDs replaced LPs in the audio section of the local music stores; it meant that we could finally put the whole stoopid "backmasking" brouhaha behind us. I, fact, I remember saying as much at the time and being asked "why?". My reply was "because CDs can't be played backwards, dummy!"

• james_woods
    james_woods

I first heard it in about 1981 - (after I had quit the Witnesses) - from a still-witness guy who really wanted my honest opinion if it was possible that smurf dolls "walked around on their own on the KH floor during a meeting" -

I told him "not unless they had batteries in them".

I am sure he already knew that, but just wanted somebody else to say so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit